3 wayconduit

Users who are viewing this thread

luckekurte

Reaction score
I need help, I have a 1/2 " underground conduit with 14 2 w ground running 100ft . At 50 ft I wish to take an additional tap to a small load ~1.5 amp. Help with details. thanks:confused:

this electrical conduit runs under a paved parking lot and can not be doug up. However at mid point the concuit does pass unger a flower bed. I have doug dowm to expose the 1/2" conduit, it is at this point were i want to put the wire and add an additional light. Keeping the entire ckt in contuit is a priority.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Details on what?

Is this a continuous conduit? If so you'll have to dig it up, cut into it and bring both legs above ground into a box, pull ALL new wiring because not it will be too short.
Sounds to me like a very poorly conceived idea.

You will be much better off leaving what is there and running new.

BTW, what does this have to do with a "3 wayconduit"???

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You need to install two junction boxes.

parking lot........../............planter area................/..parking lot....

----------------/-------JB-----x------JB--------/-------------

Turn off power. Verify power is off.

Cut conduit/wire at X

Use tubing cutter to cut conduit at JB locations

Install 90's into jboxes and install conduit between jboxes.
Carlon makes excellent flush mounted PVC jboxes. Leave them up a couple of inches to insure they don't get completely buried.

Pull the appropriate wire in new conduit and make connections.

Enosez

Reaction score
You need to install two junction boxes.

parking lot........../............planter area................/..parking lot....

----------------/-------JB-----x------JB--------/-------------

Turn off power. Verify power is off.

Cut conduit/wire at X

Use tubing cutter to cut conduit at JB locations

Install 90's into jboxes and install conduit between jboxes.
Carlon makes excellent flush mounted PVC jboxes. Leave them up a couple of inches to insure they don't get completely buried.

Pull the appropriate wire in new conduit and make connections.

For all the work of installing j-boxes wouldnt it be easier to run new like Speedy Petey suggested.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

IF you are planning on putting the light where you want to make the connection, then you cut the conduit back, install two sweep ells into a box above the ground. Put your light on top of the box, and then pull new longer wires into the conduits. Your wires will be too short no matter how you plan to make the connection so they will have to be replaced anyway.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
For all the work of installing j-boxes wouldnt it be easier to run new like Speedy Petey suggested.

Hmmm.....You think cutting across a parking lot, trenching 24" deep and patching asphalt will take less than the 2 hours it will take to cut into the existing conduit?:rolleyes:

3m

Reaction score
220 isnt it against code to cut conduit with a tubbing cutter?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
conduit

We don't even know what kind of conduit it is. The two problems with cutting metal thin wall conduit with a tubing cutter is that it is hard on the wheel, and it has to be reamed afterwards. PVC or rigid is another matter all together.

Enosez

Reaction score
Hmmm.....You think cutting across a parking lot, trenching 24" deep and patching asphalt will take less than the 2 hours it will take to cut into the existing conduit?:rolleyes:

Depends,
He's still going to have to cut up the area for the j-boxes.

And no one mentioned what size conduit and what wire is in it.
Will he be running a new circuit in the exsisting conduit or tying into whats there.

But yea, I'd probably see whats there before wanting to cut asphalt and trench.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Depends,
He's still going to have to cut up the area for the j-boxes.

:rolleyes:

at mid point the concuit does pass under a flower bed.

Dig 6' in a planter or 50" back to the source thru a parking lot. Hmmmm. I'll take the 6'.

And no one mentioned what size conduit and what wire is in it.

I have a 1/2 " underground conduit with 14 2 w ground running 100ft

Will he be running a new circuit in the exsisting conduit or tying into whats there

At 50 ft I wish to take an additional tap to a small load

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks