Washer dryer cabinet install - possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

mattt19

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to install a washer and dryer in a cabinet. I'm redoing my kitchen - the washer dryer will be side by side under a countertop. I'd like to install doors on the front of the cabinet to hide the appliances. In terms of depth I have a maximum of 32" to work with. Subtracting 1" for the countertop overhang and 3/4" for the cabinets (face frame, inset ) I'm left with 30 1/4" for the washer dryer and hook ups. The washer is 27.75" deep and the dryer is 28.5" deep. The architect I'm working with claims that I need 5" clearance behind the appliances for hookups. The appliance manuals show 0" clearance needed.
Has anyone here placed these appliances in a cabinet behind doors? Is rear clearance an issue? Is access a problem? If the washing machine outlet box is installed flush with the wall how much clearance is needed to hook the hoses up?
There's a cabinet adjacent to the washing machine - could the plumbing be installed in this cabinet and the hoses and drain run through the side of the cabinet to the washing machine?

Thanks

momisana

Reaction score
We are replacing our washer/dryer and have learned about clearances - read the manual. I checked with our city inspection office and they said they always defer to the manuals. If your manual says 0", then IMHO you're okay. What about top clearance? One of the dryers we looked at required several inches above it - and we have 1/2". So we had to look for something different and found a Bosch Axxis that will fit the bill.

Washer: plumbing can be installed on the side with hoses running around to the back.

Dryer: many new ones can vent to the side (be sure to have this done before delivery)

^^^ All of the above advice is from a simple homeowner learning the ropes the hard way. If anyone knows any differently, please correct me... :)

Good luck, and I hope all goes well with your project.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would not build the washer/dryer into cabinets like a dishwasher is built in. Several reasons. The dishwasher is designed to be built in. The controls on the washer and dryer are likely on the top rear. You do have to allow space for the drain. You may have need to pull the washer out to clean the screens in the hose connections. Now, if you are taking about just having them set in a space with a bi fold door to enclose the space, that's something else again. That is often done and is fine especially when the utility area is close to the living area.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Anything is possible. $$$$
But I would ask the person doing all the laundry to seriously think about the hassle of dealing with cabinet doors and a basket full of laundry.

The best idea these days for washers, dryers, and dishwashers for that matter, is the little platform which gets them up to a convenient height.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I've installed several in this type of set-up (sans cabinet fronts). I will say once you push the appliances back there is no telling whats happening. It is possible to see behind ONE appliance as you can crawl behind the empty opening and if its partioned have an access cut out.

The dryer may be the best choice (for playing peek-a-boo through the washer opening) as the venting can be a hassle and you don't want it kinked or crushed. And yes, have the side venting if need so be done by the appliance installer. It's not worth the scraped up hands to try it yourself.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
space

IF you can get the dryer in place and hook up the vent directly into the outlet in the wall, then it can go back as far as you want it to. Same way with the washer. The limitation on how much space you need behind them is the piping, not anything as far as clearances are concerned.

jwilson

Reaction score
One thing though, you mentioned you want to add doors to hide the appliances. You can't do that with the dryer because it creates a confined space and you need to be able to have combustion air getting to the dryer. You will have to have louvered door or add one on the side of the cabinet - a furnace return grill works well. The size of the opening / amount of free air flow required depends on the BTU of the dryer and should be in the manual.

mattt19

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions - it looks possible to do , but I've been done in by the washer. Once the machine is in the cabinet, and you account for the needed setback from the back of the door and the thickness of the cabinet and countertop overhang, the washing machine soap dish is inaccessible. The soap dish sticks out 5". Once the above is taken into account only 2" of the drawer is accessible, making it a challenge to put the detergent in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks