3rd FL bathroom accident

Users who are viewing this thread

tbankhead

Reaction score
I recently purchased a house with a 3rd floor toilet that had a slow leak. As such, we had shut off the water to it as we don't use that floor of the house very often.

Today, I decided to take a closer look at it since I had finished some other more important projects. The leak was coming from the supply line where it meets the tank. Without thinking, I began to tighten the connection when the supply line broke loose.

Brief chaos ensued and I was able to turn off the water. I grabbed a bunch of bath towels and mopped up as much water as possible. Unfortunately, enough water was released that there is some slight dripping down to the 2nd floor. I have opened windows and placed a fan and dehumidifier in the bathroom.

My question is, will the house be ok drying out from that much water using the fan and dehumidifier? If not, what is my next step?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should be okay...sustained dampness causes problems; a single dowsing that didn't soak everything might cause some paint damage, but probably won't make any other long-term problem.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the ceiling below got wet, then after it dries out, it may show a brownish stain. Kilz or Bin123 will fix that.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sounds like you were tightening a flood safe supply.

floodsafe_problems.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
line

Floodsafes break at the stop, not at the tank. he had a supply with a cracked ballcock connection and tightening it finished it off, making it a broken ballcock connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks