Toilet R/O is too small

Users who are viewing this thread

fwittman

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my parents basement bathroom and the r/o for the toilet is located only 9" from the wall (without drywall). Since the drain/flange is currenlty embedded in concrete, I'm looking for alternative toilet designs that will meet this requirement. The house is about 40yrs old with cast iron pipe for the drain line. I'm trying to avoid any major concrete demo required to relocate the drain and convert to PVC. Any suggestion ???

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
My bad....I was wanting to suggest a toto unifit adapter, but I think that is only for 10/12/14. There may be some kind of adapter for 8" . What kind of toilet was there? How old was it?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Forget it. There are NO offset flanges that work good with cast iron, and NO toilets that fit a 8 1/2" finished rough in. Break the floor, before you tile it, and do it right, or have a plumber do it. It will be cheaper.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
While it is understandable that you wish to avoid breaking concrete, there is really no alternative. Any attempt to make something up will never be satisfactory, and the last thing you want is a toilet installation that causes problems. A good toilet when properly installed will last virtually forever with nothing more than new innards occasionally so you certainly would be "penny wise and pound (dollar) foolish" to try to hack something together. There are a couple of options at least for doing this. You could rent or buy a small rotary hammer/drill and DIY. It's a dirty job, but doable. You could let a plumber do it, but even if you found a plumber who would do it, that would be a very costly job. What I would suggest to you is to find a company in your area that cuts concrete. They won't be cheap, but it will be quick and clean. You will still need a plumber to do the plumbing portion, so there will be considerable expense for the total job. Need I say that the project should be topped off with a Toto?

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Duravit has a toilet called the D14023 "Happy D" it has a 8 1/2" rough in, it uses a 001455 00 00 E-Z fit roughin that will work on 8-1/2" floor flange.

http://www.duravit.us/duravit/html/default/useo-6q3rqe.us.html?category=toilets&product=D14023&nodeId=93025

Sorry i don't have a picture of the E-Z fot rough in but it looks like the Toto Unifit
Unifit.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks