Pressure tank draining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Willl

Reaction score
I am going to be leaving my house this summer and I will be draining all my water lines because it will freeze during the winter :cool: . How do you drain a pressure tank. Do you just open up the drain valve and let it drain that way or is there anything else more complex about it. Thank you. :)

Plumguy

Reaction score
Try to open something else on it, to vent it which will help it drain. I usually use an air compressor on the water lines when I'm winterizing. And don't forget to pour some anti-freeze in the traps!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
willl said:
I am going to be leaving my house this summer and I will be draining all my water lines because it will freeze during the winter :cool: . How do you drain a pressure tank. Do you just open up the drain valve and let it drain that way or is there anything else more complex about it. Thank you. :)

The short answer is yes, regardless of what type pressure tank you have.

But don't forget the water in the line to the tank from the pump; which is usually drained by opening that valve but if the plumbing doesn't allow that, then you have to drain it manually.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the presure off the tank and connect an air compressor and charge the tank, then disconnect and drain the tank. Once you get a large enough bubble of air in the tank it will blow all the water out. Under good conditions you can winterise a whole house.........

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That might work on an air over water type tank, whci his very rare today, but on a captive air precharged tank, it will blow the bladder. That's if I'm understanding what you are saying to do.

When he drains his tank, the air pressure forces all the water in the tank out of the drain. The drain valve will also allow draining back his plumbing that is capable of draining IF he doesn't have the water shut off past the pressure tank. Now connecting a compressor to a faucet above the pressure tank will blow the water back to the drain on his tank. But may still leave water to freeze in some areas of his water line plumbing. Usually draining gets it all but in some cases it won't in a piece of pipe here or there; like those not going trough a beam and going under it and back up. Water will be trapped in the belly part.

Connecting the compressor past the water shut off valve for the house and opening each faucet/fixture individually and then all of them should do it. Then leave all the fixtures open until spring.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
winterize

you only need yo pump it up to 20lbs or so. You have to size up the home that your going to winterize and follow your nose. look for low spots. If your on city water, use the w/h for your pressure bubble. then open one tap at a time...........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks