(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: bathroom light heater fan combo

Default bathroom light heater fan combo

Hi- I would like to vent one of these thru an existing 2" hole in the roof if possible. Can/ should this be done? thanks......

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Most of the systems use a 3" duct, some use 4" and some even larger. So, to direct it through a 2" hole would not be a good idea. You also want that penetration to have some kind of termination to prevent rain/snow/etc. from coming down the pipe and dripping into the room. You should not normally combine this output with anything else (like a sewer vent), either. You may be able to enlarge the opening, depending on what it is currently used for to accommodate the (new?) use.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gfro View Post
    Hi- I would like to vent one of these thru an existing 2" hole in the roof if possible. Can/ should this be done? thanks......
    No.

Out of curiosity - what's in the hole right now, what was it for originally?
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

originally it was an old vent pipe. My neighbor already talked me out of the idea. My husband died 3 months ago and I am working on this house alone now.It's a diversion but it's also stressful. Thanks....