Submersible pumps cover shroud???

Users who are viewing this thread

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
I have been told there is some kind of pipe or pvc to put around a 4'' sub. pump to keep the sand out. What is that and how do you make one, or where do you get it? Thanks Does any one have a pic. of this thing?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
I think the shroud you are talking about is for cooling. When a submersible pump is placed in a pond or a large well, the shroud is made of a 4" piece of pipe, and is used to simulate a 4" well. As the water flows by the motor it is cooled.
I have never seen one that would stop any amount of sand.
They can be made to stop gravel.
One could be made out of a well screen, that would help some, but only in a large well.

Travis

loudhornsrule

Reaction score
I was told if you dont put that around the pump and motor, that sand would build up on top of the motor, and you coulnt pull the pump back up?????????????????????????????????????

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
It does go on the hole pump and motor.
It is a 4" pipe with a cap on the end, with a hole for the drop pipe, and two or three small holes for the wire.

If you are talking about something for the pump that is in a 4" well. I have not seen anything like that.

I think I get what you are asking but,I may be missing something.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your well is pumping that much sand you have a serious problem. A shroud is not going to keep the pump from pumping sand or keep the sand from filling up the casing over time.

One thing you don't want to do is put the pump at the very bottom of the well.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A shroud will keep sediment from building up around the motor. A motor covered with a couple inches of sand won't last long. However, if you have this much sand, rat holeing the motor in sand is the least of your problems.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
A shroud will keep sediment from building up around the motor.

Unless I am thinking of something different.
How will a shroud keep sand out? Sand will seek it's level just like water.

The only way I can see that happening is the shroud having a cap on top and bottom, and the "shroud" made to look and act like a mini well.

Or am I missing something?

Travis

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think Valveman means that by water and sand being forced up around the motor, the sand won't be able to simply fill up around the motor if it were near the bottom.

Like I said, if it's pumping that much sand, it wouldn't make any difference. The pump would be toast before long anyway.

bob...

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
That's true, if it's make a lot of sand the pump is going to be short lived.

But with a shroud on the pump, it will pull even more sand around the pump and motor, as opposed to not having a shroud.

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
I see the sand mark. We have that same thing happen in the older septic tanks.

With a shroud, it will pull the sand into and around the pump, and will actually make the problem worse.

Do you have a pic of a shroud?
We may be talking about two different things.
The shroud I have used for cooling is a 4" pipe with a open bottom and a cap on top, with holes for the pipe and wire. The pipe will go down over the pump and motor. Mostly used in ponds and hand dug wells.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a shroud, it will pull the sand into and around the pump, and will actually make the problem worse.

Then it will pump the sand out and keep it from building up around the motor. Maybe just the least of two evils. I build the tops of my shrouds a little different but, we are talking about the same thing. We have to use them here on EVERY well, because all of our wells are top feeding to the pump.

Older Handyman

Retired, formerly in electronics and instruementat
Reaction score
Still asking for advise

OK folks, while my submersible is getting worse, my computer has just been repaired.
While I was off line you went on a sand tangent.
The well is 110' deep with 6" steel casing of undetermined length. The pump is suspended at the 60' level, while the water is 40" below grade level, thus we have 20' of water above the pump and sand 50' below the pump.

The casing is most likely dropping rust particles over the the top of the pump.
The material I have removed from 2 prior pumps is magnetic and appears to be rust nodules rather than sand.

I lowered the operating pressure last may from the normal 40-60 psi to 40-50 psi , but today the pump lost the ability to hold flow at anything more than 48 psi.

Are auxiliary screens available that will clear the pitless adapter, and not impede flow to the pump intake screen?

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I think what is being referred to is called a pump sandscreen. Its a 4" piece of pvc pipe similar to certalock that has small cuts in it 1/3 of way around on one side and same on other. It has a 4" well seal on top with an opening for the pump wiring to go through. I don't know the what the size of the slits are in the pipe, but I run into 4 or 5 of these a year in my area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks