How you get that %$#&$% riser out?

Users who are viewing this thread

santa6

Reaction score
Replacing leaky corner shower on basement floor of 15 yr old house. Removed old setup and there's a 2" CI riser flush with the floor. No new corner shower available to fit drain location so trenched floor to position new drain with a jog of 5" or so over to the riser.

Busted up the floor and the riser is inserted into a rubber adapter that is in what appears to be a 3" hubbed P trap. All I want to do is extract the riser from this rubber fitting, probably replace the rubber fitting, then go with PVC to new drain location a few inches away.

I actually strapped this riser to my hydraulic floor jack and couldn't budge it. I can turn it with a pipe wrench and I can rock it back-n-forth - so I'm guessing this is a slip fit with no threads.

Any tricks on how to yank this thing out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
riser

A friction/riser clamp around the pipe and TWO jacks one on either side. But you probably have to put something across the top of the P trap for the jacks to press against so they do not just lift the P trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks