Well Drilling and Setup Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hello all – I just found this forum and appreciate the wealth of information on many topics I know very little of.. Here is my story, I live in southern California and decided to drill well for several reasons. My main reason thou, is the love of my small Avocado grove. I am afraid the costs of public water soon will prevent me from keeping this 3 year old grove. So the drilling is in progress and current depth is 500’ and flow is about 6 to 7 GPM. The water level in the boring was measured at 17’ below ground surface which will result in approx 650 gal of storage capacity.

My questions are should I pay extra and drill down an additional 100’ to further increase water flow? Or with current flow should I add a 3000 Gal storage tank or multiple 100 gal pressure tanks one for my grove and one for home usage?

I am reading some great past discussions which are answering and providing me great information. It’s possible I may have the answers for these questions on my own but awesome to get others opinion.

I am seriously very new to well operations but plan on being educated very soon. I jumped into this with one eye closed and hoping to get it opened fast.

Thanks in advance!

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
In my opinion, the 3000gal tank is the better idea. The pump could be set on a timer and a float. The pump could run (x) amount of time filling the tank over the course of a 24 hour day. That way, you should not pump the well down too far, and still have plenty of water for trees or whatever your needs may be.
The water could be boosted out of the holding tank to where it needs to be.

Just a thought

Travis

milkman1

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks Travis!
I think that’s a safe way to go. You have any idea what a 3000 gal holding tank with booster pump should cost?

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
The tank I am not sure about. The pump price would very on how much water you need to move and under what pressure.
Googling the type of pump and tank you are looking for will give you an idea about the prices.

Polly tank, booster pump Just google these names and see what comes up.

If nothing else, it will give you a better understanding of what you might need, as far as the pump.

The tank is the easy part. A black 3000 gal poly tank.

The pump has a few variables that you need to know.
How much water do you need to move(gpm), and under what pressure.

Travis

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks