closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

7echo

Reaction score
It is about 1 1/8" from tile deck to top of pipe, and 1 5/8" from tile deck to the slab right around the pipe. This is the result of a bad remodel 15 years ago. I want to fill in the area so that it supports the flange properly and adds material for the flange bolts to anchor. What should I use to fill this area? What bolts should I use to anchor the flange in the new material?

Thanks for comments!

Attachments

• closetflange.jpg
    closetflange.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 319

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

We would not do what it looks like you intend to do. That is a cast iron riser pipe and it is probably no where near smooth, so that gasket will probably NOT make a watertight seal.

7echo

Reaction score
OK, OK, you don't have to tell me twice : )

I have no prob returning that closet flange. However, the interior of the pipe is not too bad and I think the gasket would seal, it is very tight when I checked it by pushing it in a little.

I am open to options!

7echo

Reaction score
If pouring lead is involved to make it right I will call the plumber. How do you extend that drain pipe?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think they may long throat cast iron flanges that could be installed...this is unlikely a DIY'er option, though. The tools required could add up quickly and make having a pro do it probably the best choice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You use a 4" long closet collar and then refer to a previous posting as to how to install a "Dutchman" inside it to make the wax ring fit properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks