Fire Hazard? Expanding Foam - Electric Boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Is there a fire hazard created when you put expanding foam around electric boxes? What, if anything, is safe when using the foam around a box?

Thanks for any replies:)

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Supposedly foam is fine around boxes. Just make sure all holes are sealed so the foam does not enter the boxes.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Supposedly foam is fine around boxes. Just make sure all holes are sealed so the foam does not enter the boxes.
In that case heat dissipation from the box due to I²R loss and bad wirenutting/connections depends on heat conduction through the copper and the cover plate being at room temp. I guess the NEC has already figured the boxes would be insulated with no air flow around them.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I have never heard of "heat dissipation" around electrical enclosures being an issue.
A failed connection just need to be contained for safety.

I would say the NEC definitely has considered this assuming many boxes and enclosures are on exterior walls and ceilings.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have never heard of "heat dissipation" around electrical enclosures being an issue.
A failed connection just need to be contained for safety.

I would say the NEC definitely has considered this assuming many boxes and enclosures are on exterior walls and ceilings.
I guess that means that enclosures have, or the air in them has, never gotten to 120 °C :D
"Wood slowly chars [at] 120°-150°"
but failed connections certainly have
"Electrical arcing [up to] to 3750°[C]

I guess air is pretty good thermal insulator.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks