Old well drillers trick???

Users who are viewing this thread

Rutherfordman

DIY Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for helping me from time to time with my well. I had a well driller tell me this one day and I was wondering if others have heard this and what they think about it.

If you want to get an approximate idea of where your static water level is in your well you can drop an M&M (yes the candy) down and time how long it takes before you hear it hit the water. I believe I was told the M&M will travel about 20 feet per second. I asked him why use an M&M. He said well you can use a small pebble but an M&M dissolves.

Now I may stupid (just ask my wife) but I have been using this theory for a few years and it seems to work for getting an approximate location. Yes I have even heard the M&M hit the water 700 feet down the well....Plop!

So what do you think:confused:?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks