Pump Pressure - Problem or Normal

Users who are viewing this thread

mrjaybov

Reaction score
I have a 2 inch screened well approximatel 20 ft down. 6-8 feet of water in the pipe. Prime is great. I'm testing with a 1/2 hp Wayne Shallow well jet pump. Input is 2 inch galv to the union, then 1 1/4 galv into the pump. On my output I have a 3/4 T, pressure gage on one side, hose bib on the other. Before I open my hose bib pressure is 70 psi dead nuts. Immediately after I open the bib and the water runs thru a wash machine hose to a bucket, the pressure drops to 20psi. Is this normal or should my pressure remain in the 60's? I get about 5 gals of water in 35 seconds. Is 1/2 hp enough pump? I have a chance to buy a brand new 1hp Wayne for $75, and I will if it would help.

I'm trying to run a 7 zone system with 5 heads per zone. One zone at a time.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Wayne is a low quality pump. 10 gallons per minute for any 1/2hp pump is a lot of water and it won't be at a very high pressure.

First of all, how much water will your 2" well produce?

Second, how many gallons per minute do these 5 heads per zone need?

bob...

mrjaybov

Reaction score
I had a 2hp sprinkling pump on it and I don't think the well could keep up with the demand the pump was asking for. So I had the 1/2hp shallow jet in my garage and I hooked it up.

How can I tell how much water the well can produce? It was roughly 9-10 gallons in a minutes time with the 1/2hp. I imagine the bigger the pump the more water...

Please advise.

Speedbump

Reaction score
For some reason homeowners have a problem with test pumping a well to see just how much it will produce. This is the only way you will know what the well is good for. It beats the hell out of buying a two horse pump that can produce 80 gallons per minute and putting it on a two inch well that can only produce 15 gpm.

Size the well first, then size a pump to match it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks