Success

Users who are viewing this thread

brad_j

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

A BIG thank you to all who advised me on how to go about this whole process. I just made my first practice flush and it works great. My whole family is impressed with the flushing power. Am I good to go on my next toilet up stairs? Or should I wait a few weeks?

I did call Toto Technical help because the tank wasn't making contact with the bowl (at each of the 3 contact points). He said to soak the gasket in warm water (not hot) for about 5 minutes to make it more flexible. After this it went on great -- no problems.

By the way, I'm wondering how good a deal I got on my Eco-Drake Elongated. What are others paying in other parts of the country?

Thanks again.

brad_j

Reaction score
condensation

Seems I'll be dealing with condensation.

Does Toto make an insulation kit. Any other suggestions?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would wait past the initial installation with filling and testing to see how the condensation plays out...

Being familiar with new Toto owners they might just have been a few show off flushes too huh? :rolleyes:

Don't worry it is a common occurrance...
Hey wanna see my new Toto Toilet flush?
It's cool we understand...:D

brad_j

Reaction score
flushing

Redwood,

My kids actually put names in hat to determine who could use it 1st, 2nd, 3rd.......

They've told me that they will all be using the bathroom downstairs from this point on. :D:D:D:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Even an insulated tank can sweat if it is flushed repeatedly. Under more normal conditions, since it leaves some (normally warmer) water in the tank after a flush, it keeps the mixed temp from the refill higher than the dew point. But, flush it often enough, even insulation may not prevent that from happening.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I did call Toto Technical help because the tank wasn't making contact with the bowl (at each of the 3 contact points). He said to soak the gasket in warm water (not hot) for about 5 minutes to make it more flexible. After this it went on great -- no problems.

A BIG Thank You for that advice! Gonna try that one out real quick!

brad_j

Reaction score
No Problem......

Yeah, I thought that was a great tip -- on soaking the gasket. Toto technical help is very "customer service oriented" and the guy I talked to was very detailed. He did say not to use VERY hot water (e.g. boiling) as it "would melt the gasket". He said, too, that they should never have to be replaced.

I'm pleased with how the installation turned out and am glad I went with stainless on the flange and the screws ($4 for 5 of them)!

However, I still wonder how I can ever really know if the wax ring made a good seal. The reason I say this is because on the old toilet I never knew UNTIL I saw water stains in the basement after years of use (that's 1 1/2 inches of wood). Nothing ever leaked out onto the floor. I conclude that theoretically this same thing could be happening right now on the new Toto?

I'm thinking that I'll go with an extra wax ring just to make sure when I install the upstairs toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
You'll know Brad. If the toilet rests on top of the wax and you have to "smoosh" the toilet down to get it resting on the floor then you are golden. If it hits the floor without meeting any resistance from the wax then another ring is needed. Make sure you are aligned front to back and left to right before you "smoosh" it down. You don't want to compromise the seal once it has flattened itself to the wax ring.

brad_j

Reaction score
?????

Make sure you are aligned front to back and left to right before you "smoosh" it down. You don't want to compromise the seal once it has flattened itself to the wax ring.

I guess that is my problem because it seems you can't know for sure if alignment has taken place. The seal was compromised on the old toilet and leaking happened with my knowledge ---- for years.

Instructions for the TOTO Drake

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I was referring to how the toilet looks in regards to the walls and such. The flange bolts aren't going to allow you to be too misaligned.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
However, I still wonder how I can ever really know if the wax ring made a good seal. The reason I say this is because on the old toilet I never knew UNTIL I saw water stains in the basement after years of use (that's 1 1/2 inches of wood). Nothing ever leaked out onto the floor. I conclude that theoretically this same thing could be happening right now on the new Toto?

I'm thinking that I'll go with an extra wax ring just to make sure when I install the upstairs toilet.

I had those same doubts, which led me to taking up my 2 just-installed toilets and removing the wax and instead using Fernco waxless seals. You can feel when they engage in the closet bend. No doubt about alignment.

Just my 2 cents.

brad_j

Reaction score
At $4

At $4.00 these would seem the way to go. I wonder why they are not in the Lowes/Home Depots and even local hardware stores?

I like the "I know for sure that's lined up" feeling.

Although it would see that if the flange isn't completely level a gap could develop where it attaches to the toilet. I've read on some forum where a "pee smell" resulted and the bottom of the toilet was wet.

Maybe I'll get one and put a wax ring on it at the same time........

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have only used one of those...
I had a stinkin callback on it... Sheesh!:mad:
It's wax for me!:cool:

How has the sweating worked out?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have only used one of those...
I had a stinkin callback on it... Sheesh!:mad:
It's wax for me!:cool:

How has the sweating worked out?

Redwood,
Out of curiosity, what happened to cause you to get a callback? I was just trying to imagine what would go wrong with a waxless seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks