(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success

Default Success

A BIG thank you to all who advised me on how to go about this whole process. I just made my first practice flush and it works great. My whole family is impressed with the flushing power. Am I good to go on my next toilet up stairs? Or should I wait a few weeks?

I did call Toto Technical help because the tank wasn't making contact with the bowl (at each of the 3 contact points). He said to soak the gasket in warm water (not hot) for about 5 minutes to make it more flexible. After this it went on great -- no problems.

By the way, I'm wondering how good a deal I got on my Eco-Drake Elongated. What are others paying in other parts of the country?

Thanks again.

Default condensation

Seems I'll be dealing with condensation.

Does Toto make an insulation kit. Any other suggestions?

I would wait past the initial installation with filling and testing to see how the condensation plays out...

Being familiar with new Toto owners they might just have been a few show off flushes too huh?

Don't worry it is a common occurrance...
    Hey wanna see my new Toto Toilet flush?
    It's cool we understand...

Default flushing

Redwood,

My kids actually put names in hat to determine who could use it 1st, 2nd, 3rd.......

They've told me that they will all be using the bathroom downstairs from this point on.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Even an insulated tank can sweat if it is flushed repeatedly. Under more normal conditions, since it leaves some (normally warmer) water in the tank after a flush, it keeps the mixed temp from the refill higher than the dew point. But, flush it often enough, even insulation may not prevent that from happening.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by bradahkimo View Post
    I did call Toto Technical help because the tank wasn't making contact with the bowl (at each of the 3 contact points). He said to soak the gasket in warm water (not hot) for about 5 minutes to make it more flexible. After this it went on great -- no problems.
    A BIG Thank You for that advice! Gonna try that one out real quick!
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Default No Problem......

Yeah, I thought that was a great tip -- on soaking the gasket. Toto technical help is very "customer service oriented" and the guy I talked to was very detailed. He did say not to use VERY hot water (e.g. boiling) as it "would melt the gasket". He said, too, that they should never have to be replaced.

I'm pleased with how the installation turned out and am glad I went with stainless on the flange and the screws ($4 for 5 of them)!

However, I still wonder how I can ever really know if the wax ring made a good seal. The reason I say this is because on the old toilet I never knew UNTIL I saw water stains in the basement after years of use (that's 1 1/2 inches of wood). Nothing ever leaked out onto the floor. I conclude that theoretically this same thing could be happening right now on the new Toto?

I'm thinking that I'll go with an extra wax ring just to make sure when I install the upstairs toilet.
    Last edited by bradahkimo; 05-07-2009 at 06:10 AM.

You'll know Brad. If the toilet rests on top of the wax and you have to "smoosh" the toilet down to get it resting on the floor then you are golden. If it hits the floor without meeting any resistance from the wax then another ring is needed. Make sure you are aligned front to back and left to right before you "smoosh" it down. You don't want to compromise the seal once it has flattened itself to the wax ring.

Default ?????

Make sure you are aligned front to back and left to right before you "smoosh" it down. You don't want to compromise the seal once it has flattened itself to the wax ring.

I guess that is my problem because it seems you can't know for sure if alignment has taken place. The seal was compromised on the old toilet and leaking happened with my knowledge ---- for years.

Instructions for the TOTO Drake
    Last edited by Terry; 05-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.

I was referring to how the toilet looks in regards to the walls and such. The flange bolts aren't going to allow you to be too misaligned.

Quote Originally Posted by bradahkimo View Post

However, I still wonder how I can ever really know if the wax ring made a good seal. The reason I say this is because on the old toilet I never knew UNTIL I saw water stains in the basement after years of use (that's 1 1/2 inches of wood). Nothing ever leaked out onto the floor. I conclude that theoretically this same thing could be happening right now on the new Toto?

I'm thinking that I'll go with an extra wax ring just to make sure when I install the upstairs toilet.

I had those same doubts, which led me to taking up my 2 just-installed toilets and removing the wax and instead using Fernco waxless seals. You can feel when they engage in the closet bend. No doubt about alignment.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, that's the one.

Default what holds?

what holds the fernco part to the toilet itself?

Peel and stick!