New Master Bath Design

Users who are viewing this thread

jevonmckinzie

Reaction score
A month in the making, and I think I am ready to submit my entire remodel plans for a permit to begin work very soon. One of my biggest challenges has been designing the plumbing for the new master and guest bathrooms.

Here it is. I would just like some feedback on the design. If its too complicated or anything anyone would do differently and of course, why. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

As for the project, I am adding two new bathrooms on the main floor. There is already one bathroom on this floor and one in the basement. I plan on using 3" pipe as the main drain pipe that will run horizontal to the soil stack that is about 30' away. For the toilets, I was planning on using 2" or 3" DWFC. For the sinks, lavs 1.5" DWFC. Shower and tub, 3" DWFC. The vents are all 3", except for the lavatories, and they will tie together in the attic with a 4" through the roof. The farthest fixture from the main vent is the bath, which will be approx. 8-9' away.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jevonmckinzie/MasterBathroom?feat=directlink

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Quick look before the wife and kid get home:
You have a lot of overkill in your venting.
3" sanitary to the toilets, if you need to indivually vent them then use 2" vents.
2" line and trap for the shower, 1-1/2" line and trap for the tub.
SewerRatz is familiar with Chicago codes, you might have some distance issues with the tub.
Your horizontal vents are too low I think - 42" is the standard, 6" above flood rim of the highest fixture.

Sorry if my thoughts are haphazard right now, time constraints.

For the toilets you can't use vents backwards (photo4)

jevonmckinzie

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I was wondering if only the lav vents needed to have the 42" clearance or all vents, either way, quick fix on that.

I made the vents complex on purpose, but my goal is to simplify, which I am not sure how to go about without breaking some minor plumbing code violation.

Designing the toilets was my biggest problem, there are some really tight bends and not a whole lot of space while taking into consideration wall clearances for the toilets and space between the floor joists. When you say I am using the vent backwards, do you mean that I cant use a horizontal 45 wye to vent or is it something else?? If that is the case, how else can I do it.

Just read up on Chicago plumbing code, I thought the maximum was 10ft. to a vent, but its actually 5 feet. The shower is actually 5.5 feet away. I guess I have two options. I can use a common vent for the shower and tub that will be located on the shower wall. The downside is that I would have to cut through 6 or 7 joists. Option #2 is to vent each one separately. I included a close up of the tub drain with the framing. Would it be best to vent behind or to the right??

Attachments

• Master-Bath-Toilet-Drain-Jo.jpg
    Master-Bath-Toilet-Drain-Jo.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 908
  • Master-Bath-Revised-Vents.jpg
    Master-Bath-Revised-Vents.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • Master-Bath-Tub-Vent.jpg
    Master-Bath-Tub-Vent.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 706

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Designing the toilets was my biggest problem, there are some really tight bends and not a whole lot of space while taking into consideration wall clearances for the toilets and space between the floor joists. When you say I am using the vent backwards, do you mean that I cant use a horizontal 45 wye to vent or is it something else?? If that is the case, how else can I do it.

When I said it was backwards, I meant that your fixture is shown 180* from how it is intended.

At the toilets would you have room to use a combination fixture on it's back, and then use a 3" sanitary tee and vent straight up from there; similar to how a sink would be piped if it was inline with the sanitary branch?

I've attached a somewhat crappy (pun intended) picture of how a toilet can be plumbed with a sanitary tee like I describe.

Attachments

• 36_HTHP387.jpg
    36_HTHP387.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 908

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Nice graphics on that layout. I guess gone are the days of isometric drawings. Kind of a drag that with a program like that many out there are going to feel competent enough to take on plumbing. I'm talking at a professional/business level not DIY.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

That has to be the most complicated DWV system in existence for a bathroom like that. Your Y's for the toilet vents are facing backwards and would not be approved. Your tub and shower drains may be too long. Your vents tie together too close to the floor.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Nice graphics on that layout. I guess gone are the days of isometric drawings. Kind of a drag that with a program like that many out there are going to feel competent enough to take on plumbing. I'm talking at a professional/business level not DIY.

Still use isometric drawings every day, no worries there. Google Sketch is pretty cool, I haven't found enough time to play with it yet though.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is that drawn with google sketch? I installed it a month or so back and fiddled a bit with it but it seems like a PITA. Maybe it's just me.

jevonmckinzie

Reaction score
Sketchup can be a pain at first, but I've started to ignore all the little inconsistencies. Plus, its free and I can get more detail than some software that costs over $500.

I think I've finally got it. The shower and tub are way too far back to vent to the wall with every other fixture, so I am venting them individually. The best option is to vent from the back of the fixture. The toilets are simpler. Basically I just needed to lower the main horizontal drain to fit the sanitary tee on there correctly.

Is there still a lot of overkill on the venting??

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IlC4MuEHWqh1m_RqyfMPkA?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C2z4F2A8KX16XmfXpw0llw?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Mwq5RsWzGs_BdPtxJKlvpw?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/e5NeAdgU4Wp0Jv-TwDp9Qg?feat=directlink

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but I don't think your latest drawing is going to get an approval by any of the regular Pro's on here!......vents are run horizontal off the fixture traps.....From everything I have seen and read, that is unacceptable anywhere.......

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

Both the tub and shower have "S" traps any your "vents" are completely wrong. In fact, if they were tied into the rest of the plumbing system they would direct sewer gases DIRECTLY into your bathrooms and there would be no way to prevent, or stop, them.

jevonmckinzie

Reaction score
Both the tub and shower have "S" traps any your "vents" are completely wrong. In fact, if they were tied into the rest of the plumbing system they would direct sewer gases DIRECTLY into your bathrooms and there would be no way to prevent, or stop, them.

Wait, how are they S traps. In every diagram I have ever seen, the bath and shower P-trap is always two 90s connected like a U and another 90 at the end. If I were to put another 90, then it would be an S-trap. Correct me if I am wrong.

vents are run horizontal off the fixture traps

I knew I was testing the limits there, just wanted to see if it was possible to vent directly behind the fixture. My only other option then is to vent to the side, cut through a couple of joists and tie it in to the rest of the system.

So if this is finally correct, then I just need to size down the pipes to their correct size so I can see how far to drop down the P-traps on the tub/shower fixtures in order to properly vent without the pipes coming through the floor. Only 16" of space to do that with 1.5" & 2" pipe, will be tight but anything is possible.

Cant believe this is starting to wind down. The downside to having software is your wife will make you go through every possible combination of placing stuff to get that perfect "look".

Attachments

• Master-Bath-Rev-4-Overview.jpg
    Master-Bath-Rev-4-Overview.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 606
  • Master-Bath-Rev-4-Overview-.jpg
    Master-Bath-Rev-4-Overview-.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 596
  • Master-Bath-Rev-4-Shower-De.jpg
    Master-Bath-Rev-4-Shower-De.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 593
  • Master-Bath-Rev-4-Tub-Detai.jpg
    Master-Bath-Rev-4-Tub-Detai.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 582

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I can plumb a setup like that faster then it can be drawn.

Fittings below the flood level need to be waste fittings.
That means the santees on their backs need to be combo or wye with 45

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

quote; Wait, how are they S traps. In every diagram I have ever seen, the bath and shower P-trap is always two 90s connected like a U and another 90 at the end. If I were to put another 90, then it would be an S-trap. Correct me if I am wrong.
I am not sure if you realized the answer to your own question or just lucked into doing it correctly. YOUR vents were connected to the inlets of the traps which meant they were COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE as vents and also created a direct connection between the sewer gas in the system and your room. As far as being an "S" trap, as SOON as you turn downward BEFORE the vent connection, regardless of how it is done, you have created an "S" trap. As Terry said, if we were there it would be easier to do it than to tell you how to do it, and we might even do it differently than what you show, depending on the actual conditions which your drawings do not show.

Last edited by a moderator:

jevonmckinzie

Reaction score
I am not sure if you realized the answer to your own question or just lucked into doing it correctly. YOUR vents were connected to the inlets of the traps which meant they were COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE as vents and also created a direct connection between the sewer gas in the system and your room.

I realized this wasnt the way to go, but I put it out there just to make sure. No luck involved on that one

As far as being an "S" trap, as SOON as you turn downward BEFORE the vent connection, regardless of how it is done, you have created an "S" trap. As Terry said, if we were there it would be easier to do it than to tell you how to do it, and we might even do it differently than what you show, depending on the actual conditions which your drawings do not show.

I attached an isometric drawing. Tell me if those are S-Traps or P-traps, because I know my sketchup isnt that accurate, which is intentional for now. If they are, how can I make it a P-trap.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Kn06vGDM_S1oBYYeNIO2VQ?feat=directlink

Attachments

• Master-Bath-Isometric.jpg
    Master-Bath-Isometric.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 946

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

IF your isometrics are accurate, neither is an "S" trap, nor would they be even without the vents. But without the vents the arms might have been too long. To have an "S" trap the discharge must turn downward after leaving the trap, AND the vent, if any, has to be past the turned down point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks