Irrigation pump tank outlet size

Users who are viewing this thread

mlawrence

Reaction score
I've got a shallow well and a 1HP pump putting out about 10-12 GPM for irrigation only. The pump discharges thru a 1" line but I currently have 1 gallon pressure tank connected which uses a 3/4" line. I want to keep my gpm and pressure up as high as possible so should I find a larger tank that uses a 1" opening, since that's what I'd like to run for the sprinklers?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumps make GPM and pressure, not the tank. All the tank does is reduce the number of times the pump cycles on and off. A 1 gallon tank only holds about 1/4 of a gallon of water. Your pump is going to cycle like crazy. You either need a much larger tank or a Cyle Stop Valve.

mlawrence

Reaction score
Thanks valveman, but I don't think I explained my situation well (no pun intended). For irrigation I've always used a small, pre-charged tank connected to the pump. I don't think the idea of the small tank is to store water, but to add some needed pressure until the pump catches up. In the past my pump has never cycled, instead it comes on when water is needed, and runs until you turn the water off. Here's a photo of the setup I used at our old house. My question is whether it makes a difference if the outlet on my pump is 1" but then I bushing it down to 3/4" connect it to the 3/4" precharged tank, then go back to a 1" main line run to the sprinklers. Basically I want to use every drop of water that pump can put out, that way I can run more sprinklers at the same time. So by going down to 3/4 to accommodate the pre-charged tank, aren't I shooting myself in the foot so to speak???

Attachments

• P2210290.jpg
    P2210290.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
The tank stores about 1/2 gallon of water and a few pounds of pressure. That's it. Then it's up to the pump, the tank has nothing to do with running the sprinklers. If you didn't have a pressure switch, you wouldn't need the tank.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks