New GFCI

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven Palmisano

Reaction score
Hello all -

I am putting a GFCI in the bathroom and need some help.

1) there are three wires in the receptacle box BWG and that's it. My question is, if this box is at the end of the run does a GFCI really have any benefit?

2) there are 4 leads on the switch, Line (incoming) and the Load , How do I know which two to connect to on the switch it's self, the top B & W or the bottom two?

Thanks, Steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The GFCI protects things plugged into it, so yes, it is required.

Connect the power to the LINE leads or screws (black, white, and ground). Put wire-nuts (if they are pigtails) on the LOAD connections, otherwise, just leave them as is...with nothing on them. Those leads are used to protect and power additional standard receptacle(s), if you choose to add more in the same room.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
How do I know which two to connect to on the switch it's self

Use a voltage tester.

Line = power in

Load = power out.

The GFCI recep will protect whatever is downstream if you hook the outgoing wires to the load side.

If you put all wiring on the line side, only that recep will be protected.

If you put all wiring on the line side, be sure and cap off the load leads/pigtails. Do they even make GFCI receps with leads anymore????

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks