quiet toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

amtbooks

Reaction score
Hi, we have a baby coming in a few months, and want to use a room next our bathroom as his nursery. The problem is that the existing toilet is really loud, both flush and fill. Can you please recommend a really quite toilet? I prefer Kohler, but will consider any brand that meets our needs.

Appreciate it!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You really don't want a Kohler toilet!

Is the existing one pressure assisted? Those are always somewhat noisey. A good gravity fed toilet is typically quieter, and may not run anywhere as long if your existing one is very old (and therefore uses more water which has to be replaced on each flush).

A favorite here is the Toto Drake. It's available as the Eco-Drake version which only uses 1.28g of water per flush. There are others that work as well...somewhat depends on the style you are looking for.

amtbooks

Reaction score
No, the existing one is not pressure assisted, the brand is Crane Plumbing, I think it is 5 years old (we bought the house one year's ago).

Do you have other brand/model to recommend? I might go to Lowe's to compare them and find which one we like.

Thanks for the reply.

You really don't want a Kohler toilet!

Is the existing one pressure assisted? Those are always somewhat noisey. A good gravity fed toilet is typically quieter, and may not run anywhere as long if your existing one is very old (and therefore uses more water which has to be replaced on each flush).

A favorite here is the Toto Drake. It's available as the Eco-Drake version which only uses 1.28g of water per flush. There are others that work as well...somewhat depends on the style you are looking for.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not many folks here will endorse other brands. If you wish to spend the time, you can go through some of the discussions, and I think if you do you will come to realize a couple of things. First, Toto makes numerous models of toilets, all of which are superior performers. Secondly, you will see that the famous brands that we all grew up with are mostly inferior in today's low flow world. You will also see that toilets in particular from Big Box Stores are usually cheap builder grade models that seldom perform well. I would point out that although Terry Love who owns this web site is the Pacific Northwest's leader in sales of Toto toilets, he has no requirements that participants endorse Toto. We do so because of our personal experience with Toto and with other brands. You should remember that a toilet is an appliance that will be in use in you home for many years to come and therefore should be one that is reliable, and price should not be your first consideration. I don't know if the Eco Drake would be less noisy than any other toilets, but I'm reasonably certain it would be at least a quite as any of them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of Toto toilets use what is called a siphon jet. 90% of the flushing action takes place beneath the water spot, the rest around the bowl. So, while a little water falls very fast to create the flush, it's not like many of the older ones that dumped a lot of water slowly, then the toilet gulped and then flushed it out. The action is very quick and quiet. You won't find Toto at a big box store, but you may have a local dealer showroom. Check out www.totousa.com to find local dealer(s).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
American Standard Cadet 3 for a cheaper option. I love mine.

But the rest of your plumbing will have an effect too. My old cast iron drain is quieter than a PVC one. There will not be much you will be able to do about that.

wooo stash

Reaction score
I have a Kohler Bancroft and it is the quietest refill I have ever heard or barely heard. The flush is not loud just normal

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't buy a new toilet if the old one is working fine...I have 4 kids and I'll tell you you want the baby to get used to loud noises...other wise any little noise will wake them up...personaly I would keep the old toilet as long as it is working...don't be afraid to vacuum and do normal things while the baby is sleeping...just my experienced $00.02 worth...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Don't buy a new toilet if the old one is working fine...I have 4 kids and I'll tell you you want the baby to get used to loud noises...other wise any little noise will wake them up...personaly I would keep the old toilet as long as it is working...don't be afraid to vacuum and do normal things while the baby is sleeping...just my experienced $00.02 worth...

Yea who wants to play old time librarian around the house anyway?:D

I'll give you a great hint though...
Put a fan in the kids room and turn it on high while the kid is sleeping...
Kind of a white noise thing....
It works good....:cool:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can not speak for all Toto toilets on the issue of sound, but I can tell you that the Toto Dartmouth flush is quite. I believe the Drakes are similar. There is one short glup (for lack of a better term" and that's about it. There is virtually no noticeable refilling sound. As others have said, baby will adapt quickly. You might not want the crib against the common wall of bedroom and bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks