Advice on new water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

chitra0828

Reaction score
We need to replace our galvanized 120gsl water tank. I have 2 quotes both for Well Rite above ground water tanks. The WR 360 (Steel) tank and the FL 40 (fiber glass) tank. They are both 119 gals so a 1 for 1 replacement. I've been told that the inside of the FL 40 can be sharp (even if the outside is smooth), and so it can (over time) puncture the bladder bags, and rubber lining. The Steel tank will cost us about $200 more than the fiber glass tanks. We'll do it if we must, but i just wondered if any homeowner or professional out there could advice whether this info is infact correct, and whether we really are better off spending the extra $200 for the steel tank? Also, any thoughts on Wellrite v. WellExtrol tanks?

Thanks so much for your help in this matter.

Best Regards,
Chitra

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Gary is right, the steel is a better choice. If the tank will be outside, stay away from the fiberglass.
They don't like sunlight. Over time going from hot to cold, the fiber glass will fatigue and start to crack.

chitra0828

Reaction score
advice onwater tank

hi, i should have said it will be in our basement in the utility room.It's a dry, above ground (walk out) basement. Does that change your opinion? I really want to make sure we do the right thing.

Thanks Chitra

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I'd go a smaller steel captive air tank, like 20 gal nominal, and a CSV. I wouldn't want fiber glass outside in sun light.

If you want to make sure it is done right, follow the above advice. Even installed inside, the steel tank is better because of the way the diaphragm is manufactured.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't let them talk you into a fiberglass tank or one of those Davey pumps. I saw this on another forum, and that is what they sell, so that is the only answer you will get at that site. He says the average life of a Davey is 6 years. I don't believe it, I have heard of too many people having problems. A small leak is just one of the things that will kill a Davey or a Grundfos MQ. You do want to do this right, don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

andy_007

Reaction score
I toured the Flex-Con factory about 6 weeks ago. The Well-Rite steel tanks are mostly the same as the well-x-troll tanks. Flex-Con has made some improvements over the Well-X-Troll tanks, especially on the tall narrow tanks.

The Flex-Con fiberglass tanks (FL series) use the same diaphragm as the steel tanks. They are the only fiberglass tank that uses a diaphragm like that. According to their sales reps, the fiberglass tanks have had an identical track record as far as warranty returns. This happens to be between 1% and 2% returns on a 5 year warranty.

On the plant tour they spent several hours explaining tanks, tank theory, material, ect. After seeing the factory in person, we changed over to the Flex-Con fiberglass tanks. We had been using Well-X-Troll tanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You learn something new everyday. I had no idea they had the same diaghram. I'm glad to know that. Flexcon wanted me to start stocking the fiberglas tanks and I refused. They never said anything about the diaghram. I do like their steel tanks though. I've been using them for ten years or more and have very few failures. One percent is probably close.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks