Valve Leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mphsgirl

Reaction score
I just ran across this site and was hoping someone could help me. I have a Ruud P40-7 water heater and the drain valve is leaking. I can't seem to insert a picture, but here is the url to the picture. My water heater is on page 52 (20-52 Gallon Model). It is part 15 that is leaking.

http://waterheating.ruud.com/content/resources/documents/parts_catalog/PartsGuide_Contractor.pdf

Is this something that is generally repairable by a novice? If so, could someone point me in the right direction on how to? Thank you.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The old one should screw out and you can install a new one. You'll need some pipe dope and/or teflon tape on the threads of the new one. You may not even need to drain the tank. If you make sure all of the valves to faucets, supply, etc. are closed, they'll act like your finger on the end of a soda straw. You might get some out, but with no pressure applied from the supply, you'd probably only get a cup or so out.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider replacing the elcheapo OEM valve with a 3/4" ball valve. They cost a bit more, but are far superior to the plastic junk you now have. I would mention that draining the tank might be a pretty good idea because the water coming out will be hot and, while not a gusher, could make putting the new valve on difficult. The tank needs to be flushed anyway. Be sure to turn off the power to the heater before draining and make double sure the tank is completer full before restoring power.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I just want to repeat the shut off power before draining and make sure the tank is completely filled before turning the power back on...

There is no quicker way to burn out an element...:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If the valve is a plastic one, they you have a very good chance of it snapping off when you try to remove it. If so, then you will probably have to drain the tank and extract the remaining portion of the thread which is stuck in the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks