PE Pipe Connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke76

Reaction score
When I bought my house I had a partially installed irrigation system drawing water from a lake. The last step of the installation is to connect the pump (which is located on a floating dock) to the onshore PVC piping for the system.

I am connecting PE pipe from the pump to the PVC using barbed fittings. The Silverline website says I can dip the end of the pipe in hot water to soften it. Does this work ? Would a hair dryer work ?

Can someone give me any other tip on how to force the PE over the barb ?

Thank you.

Duke76

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Let me clarify.

The PE tubing gets a barb x threaded stainless steel fitting. I'm having trouble getting the barb inserted far enough into the PE for an acceptable fit. I need to temporarily soften the PE to get the barb inserted. The manufacturer recommends hot water but I'm trying to avoid having to carry a bucket of hot water from the house down a 200 ft hill to the worksite. That has accident written all over it!!! But that may be the best alternative.

The PVC side gets a PVC threaded x slip adapter.

Duke76

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. I can't remember what PVC adapted it is and I'm not there to look. I've researched it before but can you refresh my memory. PVC female with steel male is OK but the reverse is not? Is that correct ? And is it because of expansion?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
There are compression fittings for polyethylene pipe, if you don't want to use barbed fittings.

Rayh78

Reaction score
When I bought my house I had a partially installed irrigation system drawing water from a lake. The last step of the installation is to connect the pump (which is located on a floating dock) to the onshore PVC piping for the system.

I am connecting PE pipe from the pump to the PVC using barbed fittings. The Silverline website says I can dip the end of the pipe in hot water to soften it. Does this work ? Would a hair dryer work ?

Can someone give me any other tip on how to force the PE over the barb ?

Thank you.
Electric heat gun works great. Hair dryer would also work just a little longer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've hot water, works so-so. I've used my torch, works but easy to overheat the pipe. I've use a hair dryer, works well but pretty slow. I've used a heat gun, work the best.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I'd think one could pour boiling water into a small thermal water jug and haul that a few hundred feet without calamity.

Duke76

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I used a hair dryer for about 5 minutes and that did the trick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks