(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PE Pipe Connection

Default PE Pipe Connection

When I bought my house I had a partially installed irrigation system drawing water from a lake. The last step of the installation is to connect the pump (which is located on a floating dock) to the onshore PVC piping for the system.

I am connecting PE pipe from the pump to the PVC using barbed fittings. The Silverline website says I can dip the end of the pipe in hot water to soften it. Does this work ? Would a hair dryer work ?

Can someone give me any other tip on how to force the PE over the barb ?

Thank you.

Wait for a really hot day

Default Pvc

I assume you know that barbed fittings do not work directly into PVC.

Without a slip x barb fitting, it will be a difficult task.

Thanks for the comments. Let me clarify.

The PE tubing gets a barb x threaded stainless steel fitting. I'm having trouble getting the barb inserted far enough into the PE for an acceptable fit. I need to temporarily soften the PE to get the barb inserted. The manufacturer recommends hot water but I'm trying to avoid having to carry a bucket of hot water from the house down a 200 ft hill to the worksite. That has accident written all over it!!! But that may be the best alternative.

The PVC side gets a PVC threaded x slip adapter.

Default heat

A torch held far enough away and waved back and forth will heat it up, and I hope it is not a PVC male thread adapter.

Thanks HJ. I can't remember what PVC adapted it is and I'm not there to look. I've researched it before but can you refresh my memory. PVC female with steel male is OK but the reverse is not? Is that correct ? And is it because of expansion?

There are compression fittings for polyethylene pipe, if you don't want to use barbed fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    When I bought my house I had a partially installed irrigation system drawing water from a lake. The last step of the installation is to connect the pump (which is located on a floating dock) to the onshore PVC piping for the system.

I am connecting PE pipe from the pump to the PVC using barbed fittings. The Silverline website says I can dip the end of the pipe in hot water to soften it. Does this work ? Would a hair dryer work ?

Can someone give me any other tip on how to force the PE over the barb ?

Thank you.
    Electric heat gun works great. Hair dryer would also work just a little longer.

I've hot water, works so-so. I've used my torch, works but easy to overheat the pipe. I've use a hair dryer, works well but pretty slow. I've used a heat gun, work the best.

I'd think one could pour boiling water into a small thermal water jug and haul that a few hundred feet without calamity.

I believe it is 1 1/4" ID.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I used a hair dryer for about 5 minutes and that did the trick.