Newbie -- Help removing old faucet/taps

Users who are viewing this thread

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry I don't know the technical terms for all the parts . . . but I have an old faucet that i'm trying to remove.

I have taken off the handles and see that there is another part that needs to be taken off under the handles (it has the small bits that actually turn the taps on and off inside it) These parts as well as the faucet are threaded onto the pipes (i believe I can see some teflon tape aswell) I cannot budge them. Any tips on getting them off?

Thanks in advance,

Tamsin

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Fixed half the problem . . .

Well I took some wd40 to the old bits and one unscrewed, the second one snapped in half -- it was only plastic! So they're off. :)

I can't however budge the faucet/spot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

K

Kokopelli

Reaction score
Picture

Here's a pic -- I checked and there is no screw under the spout -- it just won't budge off that pipe!

Thanks for reading

K

Attachments

• spout.jpg
    spout.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 549

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
You could use a hacksaw and cut down the length of the spout then pry it off or you could just remove the nipple along with the spout. Put a wrench on the ell fitting and use a small pipe wrench on the brass nipple to remove. If it still wont budge, try applying heat to the nipple and the ell then give it a try.

Good luck

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there is no setscrew, it is probably a screw-on type. Those threads can get nasty after decades! A long screwdriver up the spout might give you the leverage to unscrew it. Be careful you don't damage the pipe behind it. You don't want to twist or kink it. Might be easiest to just hacksaw it off, or unsolder the pipe coming out of the el (the 90-degree fitting). Then, when you get a new one, you can determine the needed length for either a press-on or screw on type you choose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks