Is it possible to jog the shower supply line above the valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

ofrogg

Reaction score
I've tried searching my brains out for an answer to this question, but haven't found anything here...

I am remodeling my bathroom and am roughing in the tub/shower supply plumbing. I'm using a Kohler pressure balancing valve, K-304-K (or close). Unfortunately, the straight shot up from the valve to the shower elbow runs into an existing electrical box in the adjacent kitchen... Can I leave the valve, shower spout, and tub spout centered and simply jog the shower 1/2" copper supply to the shower around it? if I used 45 deg elbows, i'd be minimizing the pressure loss... but would it be enough of a minimizing?

HELP!?

-owen

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Making a less than straight run from the valve to the shower elbow won't hurt the water pressure/flow, but I would question the wisdom of an electrical box in close proximity to a potential water leak. Mind you, I'm not pro, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Could you relocate the electrical box? Well, of you can, but would it be a major problem to move it is really the question.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Flow restriction only becomes a consideration when you get close to the maximum velocity the pipe can handle. That is seldom the case with a single item such as a shower valve, so you can reroute the piping, within limits, as much as necessary. And the fittings used are not usually critical either.

ofrogg

Reaction score
Yeah, moving that box would really suck. The kitchen electrical was done professionally and well, so I can only assume that it's ok. Right?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

Don't even worry about the box. lf you have a leak that MIGHT cause a problem with it, then you will also have a much more serious problem than the location of the box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks