Sewage Ejection Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Mario1234

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recently installed a bathroom in the basement of my home. For lack of funds i put the toilet and sink on hold until just recently. There was already a zoeller ejection pump installed in the ground and i had a friend of mine hook it up to the sewage line for me. At first it worked fine but last night after a flush of the toliet the pump went on and wouldn't turn off. I can hear the pump still working but it has been on for almost an hour. Do you think it could be that the float is stuck? I don't know what else it could be what should i do??

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Either the float is stuck or the pump is running but not pumping the basin down. Shut off the power to the pump if it hasn't already burned out. The cover will need to come of the basin and the pump and float(s) tested.

Since you had to ask, it sounds like your best bet might be to call in a plumber to diagnose and correct your problem.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I recently installed a bathroom in the basement of my home. For lack of funds i put the toilet and sink on hold until just recently. There was already a zoeller ejection pump installed in the ground and i had a friend of mine hook it up to the sewage line for me. At first it worked fine but last night after a flush of the toliet the pump went on and wouldn't turn off. I can hear the pump still working but it has been on for almost an hour. Do you think it could be that the float is stuck? I don't know what else it could be what should i do??

A lot of times when people have their basement roughed in for a future bathroom, the contractor will save himself a buck or two by installing a sump pump in the ejector pit.I had one home owner insist he had an ejector pump installed in his pit cause the pipe leaving the pit was 2". When I opened the lid for him the contractor installed an 1 ½" sump pump with an increaser coupling under the lid. So what happens is the toilet paper clogs the screen on the pump.

Casher Chick is correct it can be a stuck float as well. If there is a true 2" ejector pump in there, a couple other possibility's can be the cause of your troubles. First something got caught at the impeller base ( female products, sock, rag, piece of wood) Only way to confirm this is to remove the pump and inspect the impeller. I have had one where every time I pulled the pump it looked fine, I reset the pump in the pit and all worked perfect. A week later they call me telling me the pump is running nonstop. So this time when I pulled the pump there was a piece of wood that was stuck to the bottom of the pump. In the past when I pulled the pump it moved out of the way under all the muck, but this time it got good and stuck. The other possibility is the check valve might be the issue. Lots of times a check valve seems fine for a while but the flapper may of broke loose and is stopping up the flow.

These are just a few things that can be causing your troubles. But I hope this points you in the right direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks