57" Alcove Tub - Does It Exist?

Users who are viewing this thread

WatertowMA

Reaction score
We are remodeling the late 60's/early 70's bathroom in our 100 year old home. The current shower/tub combo built-in was not original to the house and was added by a previous owner remodel. It is an odd 57" length. We want to replace it with an alcove tub and tile the surrounding 3 walls. The mega home improvement store tell us the only option is to buy a 54" tub and to build out the walls to make up for the 3 inches. The only wall we could cut into to expand to a standard 60" tub would require major replumbing that we want to avoid. We can't believe we are the first to encounter this dilemna. Does a 57" length alcove tub exist anywhere? We'd really prefer to not do a clawfoot/freestanding tub since that makes showering, its primary purpose as opposed to bathing, much more difficult.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure it is a 57" tub? The tub is measured studwall to studwall, not between finished walls.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
module

NO ONE ever made a 57" preformed tub or shower module. If they had they would have had to creat a complete production line, costing mega dollars, and they would have only made and sold ONE of them to your previous owner. Because NO ONE else would EVER have built a 57" space for a unit. That being said, your unit is probably 60", but it is very unlikely that you would be able to jockey a new unit like that into the space, unless you have a very unique room design. One way to tell if a new one will fit is to try to remove yours in one piece. If you cannot get it out, then you will not get a new one in.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
We are remodeling the late 60's/early 70's bathroom in our 100 year old home. The current shower/tub combo built-in was not original to the house and was added by a previous owner remodel. It is an odd 57" length. We want to replace it with an alcove tub and tile the surrounding 3 walls. The mega home improvement store tell us the only option is to buy a 54" tub and to build out the walls to make up for the 3 inches. The only wall we could cut into to expand to a standard 60" tub would require major replumbing that we want to avoid. We can't believe we are the first to encounter this dilemna. Does a 57" length alcove tub exist anywhere? We'd really prefer to not do a clawfoot/freestanding tub since that makes showering, its primary purpose as opposed to bathing, much more difficult.

As HJ pointed out it could very well be a 60" model. The other point to consider would be the fact that the house is 100 years old, although the bath was remodeled in the 60/70's.

It could be that there was a very heavy plaster coating on the walls and they just built walls out after the tub was in.

I have seen, in my own home, a re-tile job, where they built the tub walls over the existing plaster/lath/tile job and just capped the ends with wood corner-round painted to 'match'.

If you measured drain to head wall, it was close to 58". Another 1/2" on either end could do 57".

I think there's a 60" tub lurking under your tile..............

HE

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Tear out the walls and measure end to end...I bet it is 60" +/- 1/4"

Alice K

Reaction score
Don't listen to them. The 57" alcove tub does exist, because I have one, too. I also find it somewhat insulting to be told that I don't know how to use a tape measure. My house was built in 1928, and I believe it was a Sears "kit" house, with pretty low end fixtures that may or may not have been updated over the years. Our cast iron tub has areas where the porcelain coating is wearing thin, making it look dirty. Unable to find a replacement, we have decided to get the surface refinished. Hope this helps.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't listen to them. The 57" alcove tub does exist, because I have one, too.

No you don't. They have never made a 57" tub.
60" minus 3" for tile backer an tile is 57". That's normal with a 60" tub. So yes, you have a 98 YO cast iron tub that is showing wear. The replacement tub will be 60".
You will need to remove tile and tile backer to fit a new tub in. Or..............you can refinish what you have and leave the old pink tile too.

Miceli

Reaction score
No you don't. They have never made a 57" tub.
60" minus 3" for tile backer an tile is 57". That's normal with a 60" tub. So yes, you have a 98 YO cast iron tub that is showing wear. The replacement tub will be 60".
You will need to remove tile and tile backer to fit a new tub in. Or..............you can refinish what you have and leave the old pink tile too.
Soooo, any thoughts on this? I’ve been doing baths for 20 years. And I’m stumped. And the wall the tape is up to is 4 1/2” thick.

AAFD1954-E47C-4B1F-98C5-A73BFE85C96C.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So remove the tile backing and then give us a measurement.

accord_wild-05.jpg

Framers normally give me 60-1/4" between the walls.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As was said a couple of times...tubs are installed between the rough framing. You cannot measure between the finished walls to determine what size that is. Tubs are made at 6" increments (and not that many other than 60" ones in the US). Most of those larger than 60" tend to be acrylic or some other material other than CI.

Joe Cullin

Reaction score
I am in a roughly 100 year old house, with a beat-up cast-iron tub. While smashing it apart, I noticed an imprint on the back of the tub with a 1926 date.

Turned out our alcove is 59" from stud to stud. I'd already bought the 60" tub by the time I figured that out. So I just cut some notches in the studs to get it in.

Joe Cullin

Reaction score
I also just want to say, thank you Terry & others for these forums! I have learned so much here. So many experts, and nobody dunking on the novice DIY'ers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks