basement rough-in layout

Users who are viewing this thread

mazurkr

Reaction score
hey all,

new to the board, and before i get to my question, i've already learned quite a bit from all the experts here. thanks.

so, i've got a framed-in basement, from original construction in 1998.

bathroom has 2 pvc pipes from floor, one obviously the toilet (4"'', 12'' from wall), the other is a 2" pipe that I'm not sure the prupose of.

my questions are: what is the 2" pipe, where would the bath/shower sand-box be in this layout, how would i connect the vents for sink/bath/toilet, and more generally, what is usually roughed-in in new construction?

Thanks,
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1258.jpg
    IMG_1258.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 939
  • IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 726

wyeme

Reaction score
Looks like...

Not a plumber here but a "do it yourselfer"....

When I installed my laterals for the slab I created a drain box for tub/shower and two other pipes coming up from the floor. One was a vent pipe and the other for the lavatory. It looks to me by the layout that your basement was plumbed for a half-bath with the 2" pipe for a sink by its proximity to the wall. They should have that piped so it ties into a vent at some point unless they were thinking that an AAV would be used under the sink or that a vent pipe could go through the adjacent wall or rafters to reach the stack, in which case it would have to rise above the highest fixture before connecting. There may also be an existing vent on the next floor above that. Your best bet is probably to try and locate the plumber who did the work -- her/his name should be on the building permit -- and see if they recall what was done.

Hope that helps!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

The only way to tell what the pipes are would be to have a picture or drawing of the pipes under the floor, or look down them and possibly get some idea of the installation. But generally, that 2" pipe would be the combined toilet vent and lavatory drain, but it would be too far from the shower to have a branch to a "P" trap, so you may only have plumbing for a 1/2 bath/powder room.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
That's a pretty sorry rough in they left for you.
You might check any plans from the builder to see if there is something under the floor.
Seems like a pretty big bathroom for just a toilet and sink.
In the third picture it looked like there was something just visible in the left side, left of the main stack. Is that some drain piping?
Could be time to rent the jack hammer or wet saw and see what's below.

jakhamer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks