Windows 7 Release Candidate Announcement

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I just got this e-mail this morning from Micro$oft. Any of you all going to try out Windows 7?

Thank you very much for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta. Your feedback is invaluable in helping make Windows 7 a high quality operating system. With your help, we have reached the next major milestone on the journey to Windows 7: the Release Candidate (RC).

-On April 30th, the RC became available to MSDN subscribers and TechNet Plus subscribers.
-On Tuesday, May 5 (PST), the RC will be available to everyone via our Customer Preview Program. As with the Beta, the Windows 7 RC Customer Preview Program is a broad public program that offers the RC free to anyone who wants to download it. It will be available at least through June 30, 2009, with no limits on the number of downloads or product keys available.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
I wait for service pack 2 to be available before I install...
To jump on a Beta you'd have to be a Masochist!:eek:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The RC version is a step between Beta, and full Release, one thing to note is in June 2010 it will start to shut down every two hours until you revert back to your old OS or purchase the new one.

ktambascio

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Website
eat-sleep-and-code.blogspot.com
I've been running Windows 7 since PDC last October, when DVD's were handed out. I've upgraded a few times, and now have build 7100 (RC) installed. Windows 7 runs so much better than Vista, and maybe even XP from what I've read. I'm also running on good hardware (AMD X2 64-bit, 8gb RAM, etc), but I've read numerous reviews that indicate it works great on much older hardware. If you have a spare PC or know how to dual-boot a PC, give it a try, you'll be surprised.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure hoping that MS doesn't mess up Windows 7 the way they messed up Vista. After three years of development and lots of promises, they had to scrap Vista entirely and start over with lower expectations. And what they wound up with was nothing but annoying.

I notice that there are some very Linux-like attributes on the desktop of Windows 7. But conversely, my latest version of Kubuntu looks a lot like Vista. Someday it will all blend into one. :eek:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I'm sure hoping that MS doesn't mess up Windows 7 the way they messed up Vista. After three years of development and lots of promises, they had to scrap Vista entirely and start over with lower expectations. And what they wound up with was nothing but annoying.

I notice that there are some very Linux-like attributes on the desktop of Windows 7. But conversely, my latest version of Kubuntu looks a lot like Vista. Someday it will all blend into one. :eek:

Back before Vista was even concerted, MS was working on a version code named Long Horn. Trouble was they where not ready to release it, so they quickly through together a release, and called it Vista. Do you remember Windows Me? It was a joke and shortly latter XP came out. This is the same thing, Vista came out, only to get replaced by Windows 7.

Well after 3 hours of installing it under the upgrade, it went to do its final reboot and hung up. So with a hard boot, it decided to roll me back to my original windows. So if I want to install this version I will have to make sure I back up all my data and have all my other program disks handy to reinstall, then do a fresh install of the OS.

Macman

Reaction score
I have a Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz machine with 2 GB RAM that just got replaced with a new machine. I wonder how Windows 7 would work on it? It might be an excellent way to get familiar with this new OS without having to mess with my "real" machine. I was running XP Pro on it, but didn't think Vista would work well on it. If Windows 7 runs faster maybe it would run acceptably well on it.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well I got it installed as an update. Turns out what I thought was a froze up reboot was me just being impatient. And WOW Windows 7 is well worth it when the full release comes out.

If you have a spare machine sitting around I say go ahead and install the RC Evaluation copy and play with it.

Neotonic

Reaction score
I am Dual booting 7100 and XP on my Desktop and dual booting 7100 and Vista on my laptop. *I must say Windows 7 RC runs smoother and faster than my XP and Vista lol

I love Windows 7. i am going to invest into buying 2 copies of the ultimate

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks