stinky hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

ac44

Reaction score
i moved into my home a year ago (after the home sat on the market for 1-2 years). I quickly found that the hot water smelled like rotten eggs, so i did some research online and figured it was from the hot water sitting in the tank for too long. i drained the tank, which only worked for a few days. i did more research, tried bleaching and draining the hot water heater and my pipes. once again, it only worked for a few days. finally, i had the anode replaced. this also worked for a short time,but the next time i went away for a weekend, the smell came back. i decided to buy a new hot water heater, because the smell is only coming from the hot water so i know the problem is in the tank. But the smell is back! I called the hot water heater manufacturer who reports it must be the anode and that it is the only part of the water heater that is not covered under warranty. I don't know what else to do. This is getting expensive and time consuming, and I am wondering if I will ever have normal hot water. Can anyone help?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Did you just change the anode to another magnesium anode or, did you switch it to an aluminum anode?

ac44

Reaction score
not really sure, a plumber did it. what do you recommend? is there a solution that will work long-term?

rcatty

Reaction score
change rod

I just installed two new hot water tanks. I am on a well, and was told by a plumber that the wrong anode rod would cause me "odor" problems. I researched the issue and learned that you need an aluminum rod, not magnesium. Also, my AO Smith manual indicates the same thing. Finally, my water softener guy used to run bleach through my system to remove a rotten egg smell in my water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks