As much as I love the current status of Medical Insureance in the US, the model does need to change drasticlly.

I'm employed, have enough to pay for a decent HMO, and have little problems, it works for me (for now).

Here's the rub. Most people don't pay for the bulk of healthcare, and this removes them from the amazing things going on with costs, and they will very soon get a wake-up-call.

Most American's WITH jobs that offer benefits don't want anything to change because the currently likely only shoulder about 30% max (using fairly large corp's at the benchmark data) of the cost of their premiums in weekly or bi-wekly deductions, and have affordable deductibles and manageable out of pocket max's. So day-to-day your healthcare is good enough and cheap enough for you to not have a huge problem.

Companies on the other hand generally share the other 70+% of the cost, and are quickly realizing that offering health benefits to employees is no longer an automatic option as it was in years past.

Bottom line, I work for a large corporation (in the 6 Billion range), working in HR, and for the first time in my life I have heard mention of short-term benefit projections that are staggering, and when I say staggering I mean it. It is a very real fact that employers out there (if nothing changes) will start to drop healthcare coverage for exployees in the next few years. The variable cost model doesn't work. They'll just give each employee $1,000 and say good luck.

Healthcare in the US works great for you when you pay $300/month for good coverage, just wait until you get to stare at the REAL cost $1500/month for premium, with deductibles in the 1000's and no out of pocket MAX's.

It has to change, not sure government is the right anwser, but it can't be worse than the train coming down the tracks we are all standing on right now.