(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Chain E-mail About the American Flag

Hybrid View

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Default Chain E-mail About the American Flag

Have any of you all gotten the chain e-mail about the American Flag Upside down and Flying below a Mexican flag out in California? I just did, and I would of thought it to be some sort of fake e-mail. So I checked it out on Snope, Digg, and Truth or Fiction. Sadly it was true back in March 27, 2006.

If you want to read the truth part and the e-mail here is the link at truth or fiction (no annoying pop-ups like Snope) http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...bello-flag.htm

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

It's only a flag. The Flag Code serves as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. The Supreme Court has ruled that politically motivated violations of the Flag Code are protected by the First Amendment.

The Flag Code has no provision for enforcement. No fines, no penalties. There is nothing law enforcement can do when the Flag Code is broken.

Your rules for how to use the American flag are actually pretty relaxed compared to most other countries.

For example, most would not let you hang it from a car unless you are someone quite special. But here anyone can, as long as the staff is fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

South Africa has some of the tightest rules I have seen.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-04-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Oh, Ian if you were to have spoken to my dad when he was alive he would had set you straight real fast. He fought for that flag, that flag is a symbol of our country, it is disrespectful for those who fought, and either lived or died for our country.

No, Ian it is not just a flag. That was my dad. I would personally had climbed up that pole and made it right.

That flag does not touch the ground or does not get tattered or torn, and hangs always proudly in the air.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-09-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Quite Frankly What I would like to see is when there is a similar demonstration that the marchers are all detained until citizenship can be verified and that all who are not US citizens are deported immediately...

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Not that anyone has mentioned it, but the graphic in my post is actually a demonstration on how the American flag should be folded.

If you really love the American flag that much (which you all clearly do) then you must also consider other flag violations which you probably overlook more than you might think.

Baltimore, MD. Flags overprinted with the new President's image and name are distributed to celebrate his inauguration. Section 8g of the Flag Code reads, "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

September 11, 2006, President Bush and first lady Laura Bush stand on a carpet of the American flag at Ground Zero in Manhattan, the site of the September 11, 2001 attack. Section 8b of the Flag Code reads, " The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground..."

Super Bowl 2004, half-time show featured the wearing of an American flag by performer Kid Rock. He later removed the flag poncho and hurled it over his head. Section 8d. reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."

In July 2003 President Bush autographed a small flag. This picture was circulated across the Internet noting its violation of the Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-05-2009 at 09:04 AM.

As, much as you might not understand this, those examples you cited were not deliberate actions of disrespect, hanging it upside as in the other mentioned, is. Does this make any sense to you? I cannot explain it, in any other way, Ian. It is the intent.