How to get a refrigerator in the kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My 25-year-old refrigerator died. The previous owners of this house remodeled the kitchen about 10 years ago, replacing a wall with an open counter, leaving only 28" entry between the end of the counter and the wall. I've not been able to find a refrigerator with such a small dimension, even taking the door off.

There is a deck off the kitchen, with 12 steps down to the ground. The staircase is 24" wide and there is a railing on each side. Is it possible for deliverymen to lift a refrigerator over the railing to get it in the house, and remove the old refrigerator?

Thanks,
Joy

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The delivery man will undoubtedly be hating :mad: life when he hears your request. Big Orange delivery guys :eek: will fly like bats out of you know where.
This may be more of a job for really good buddies of yours. Beer, money or a combination of both are good bribes to get the job done. :rolleyes:

Not only can refer doors be removed but so can all the hinges so that you are left with a lot less width. Next refer you look at measure from back of refer to front without doors, just the body of the fridge. Add an inch for all the cra... *ahem* stuff in back of the fridge (lines, cords, yada yada yada). This will give you a more accurate measurement of what you are really working with.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought! I thought this was a really cool kitchen until I started looking at refrigerators! Lowe's already said they wouldn't deliver it. You're probably right, a lot of beer would help a lot!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If you guys are going to be carrying it up some stairs, definitely remove the doors and all the shelves and whatnot. Just have nothing but a shell left. Of course leave the icemaker in it.

Oh, yeah. Someone had a winding staircase and of course had french door refer and range to get up. I recommended "fireman movers" for them. They thought I was kidding but I saw them one time at a job moving some people in. They found them in the yellow pages, low and behold those brutes got everything up and impressed the heck out of the homeowner. Might want to see if this available in your area. They are firemen who who are movers on the side/offtime.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Fireman movers, that's a good suggestion! My next-door-neighbor is a fireman and he probably knows several strong men who'd be willing to help. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I asked the homeowner, "They took the doors off right¿" She said, "Nope, 4 guys just grabbed a corner and went right up!" :eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
firemen movers

I can see the firemen right now. "Okay boys we got this refrigerator and the access it too small. George, you take the axe, and Gus, you bring the K-12 saw. We'll get that sucker in there one way or the other."

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Good thing about using them is they will most definitely have THE right tool...

X-tractor%20Combi%203.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
IMPORTANT: For every 15 minutes a refrigerator is on its side, it must be left UNPLUGGED for 2 hours. Best plan after this move: don't plug it in for 24 hours. Risk is slugging compressor with liquid refrigerant which gravity has moved to places it should not be.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Great advice! I used to do this for a living. We carried a built in 42" JennAir refer through a window one time. Was about that time that I thought to myself, "Screw this, time to get into something else."
Now cast iron tubs replaced those built in refers! Oh well, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
IMPORTANT: For every 15 minutes a refrigerator is on its side, it must be left UNPLUGGED for 2 hours. Best plan after this move: don't plug it in for 24 hours. Risk is slugging compressor with liquid refrigerant which gravity has moved to places it should not be.

Great advice! I wouldn't have known that. That will be no problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks