(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How to get a refrigerator in the kitchen

Hybrid View

Default How to get a refrigerator in the kitchen

Hi folks,

My 25-year-old refrigerator died. The previous owners of this house remodeled the kitchen about 10 years ago, replacing a wall with an open counter, leaving only 28" entry between the end of the counter and the wall. I've not been able to find a refrigerator with such a small dimension, even taking the door off.

There is a deck off the kitchen, with 12 steps down to the ground. The staircase is 24" wide and there is a railing on each side. Is it possible for deliverymen to lift a refrigerator over the railing to get it in the house, and remove the old refrigerator?

Thanks,
    Joy

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

The delivery man will undoubtedly be hating life when he hears your request. Big Orange delivery guys will fly like bats out of you know where.
    This may be more of a job for really good buddies of yours. Beer, money or a combination of both are good bribes to get the job done.

Not only can refer doors be removed but so can all the hinges so that you are left with a lot less width. Next refer you look at measure from back of refer to front without doors, just the body of the fridge. Add an inch for all the cra... *ahem* stuff in back of the fridge (lines, cords, yada yada yada). This will give you a more accurate measurement of what you are really working with.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought! I thought this was a really cool kitchen until I started looking at refrigerators! Lowe's already said they wouldn't deliver it. You're probably right, a lot of beer would help a lot!

If you guys are going to be carrying it up some stairs, definitely remove the doors and all the shelves and whatnot. Just have nothing but a shell left. Of course leave the icemaker in it.

Oh, yeah. Someone had a winding staircase and of course had french door refer and range to get up. I recommended "fireman movers" for them. They thought I was kidding but I saw them one time at a job moving some people in. They found them in the yellow pages, low and behold those brutes got everything up and impressed the heck out of the homeowner. Might want to see if this available in your area. They are firemen who who are movers on the side/offtime.

Fireman movers, that's a good suggestion! My next-door-neighbor is a fireman and he probably knows several strong men who'd be willing to help. Thanks for the great suggestion!

I asked the homeowner, "They took the doors off right┐" She said, "Nope, 4 guys just grabbed a corner and went right up!"