Shower Valve needs replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
Here's my dilemma. When I turn my shower on to full hot, it's fine. But it's too hot, so I need to back it down a little. When I turn the lever down, instead of just having to back it off a liitle, I have to bach it off almost all the way before there's any change in the water temp. Then when it finally changes I have to turn it back up a ways to get the right temp. In other words, turning the lever does not produce a direct corelation in the cange of the temp. It didn't used to be this way. Also, when I finally have the temp set where I want it, and my wife turns on the water in her sink, the shower water gets scalding hot and when she turns it off the shower stays hot. Again, it didn't used to be this way.

Anyway, I took it apart and everything looks ok. I can't imagine that replacing anything is going to solve the problem, but I don't know what will. I'm open to any suggesstions.

Barry DSCN6245.jpg

DSCN6246.jpg

DSCN6247.jpg

DSCN6248.jpg

DSCN6249.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In the first pic, the piece you see still inside the body is the balancing spool. Grab it out and replace it.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
This website might help you. Keep in mind that the parts numbers listed are theirs. A supply house in your city would not know their (Arpny's) number. It may help you find the mfg. is all.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Call 1-800-PFAUCET and tell the customer service person what you need, and they will send it to you.

They do a life time warranty on parts like Moen? If so thats good to know. Thanks HJ for the phone number, I programed it into my cell.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I ran into this exact valve with Kohler PB trim on it....it was a slick way to deceive a home buyer...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I ran into this exact valve with Kohler PB trim on it....it was a slick way to deceive a home buyer...

I had a job at a condo we been doing work at for 30+ years. The lady wanted lots of plumbing repairs done including fixing a leak on her two handle tub and shower faucet. So I explained to her we need to come out a day or so before the scheduled day so we can ensure we have the right parts. So we went their Saturday morning, and looked things over and the trim she had on the faucet was American Standard, so after making a parts list for all her other concerns we posted a notice to the building the water will be off Monday morning.

We returned, turned off the water removed the handles and the stems. Turns out it was not American Standard, it was similar to a Moen but with distinct differences. So we repaired all her other concerns and explained to her that the trim was misleading and we have to come back the next day. She was so *****-off with us saying we where hacks and had no idea what we where doing. The maintenance guy at the association calmed her down and explained to her to the best of his ability that the trim is misleading and for us to carry every repair part for every faucet out there we would need to drive a semi-trailer. Well turned out the faucet was a Valley.

Attachments

• Valley.jpg
    Valley.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 616

Tub Refinisher

Tub refinisher
Reaction score
Website
www.permaglazenorthdallas.com
You guys are FANTASTIC! I just went down to the local plumbing supply store and got a new balancing spool, installed it, and it works great!

Many thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate the quick, accurate diagnosis, and part identification. It's great to have it working properly again.

--Barry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks