Steam Shower Question

Users who are viewing this thread

cudafish

Reaction score
I am installing a Mr Stream Steam generator in my shower. I have a question about the drain. How often do you have to drain the unit? Can I plum a manual drain on the unit to drain back into the shower ?

Any Info would be great Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
steam

You usually drain it after every use, in fact most have an automatic valve to do it. NO, you cannot drain it into the shower, because someone might be in the shower when you do it and they would be severely scalded by the steam temperature water.

cudafish

Reaction score
If you drain the unit after each use doesn't the unit just refill with water or does it only refill when powered for next use. If I do plum drain into waste line, my shower trap is only a few feet away, can I use this for draining ? I can not find any info on connecting the drain.

Thanks A lot for the reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This might be a moot point, but if the shower was not built originally to be a steam shower, you're asking for mold and possibly structural problems. there's a big difference in the details of construction between a regular shower and a steam shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
steam

The purpose of draining is to flush out the materials precipitated out of the water when it was converted to steam. There are specific requirements as to where you can drain a steam generator, and we cannot tell you if your shower drain meets them, because it is basically on a case by case basis.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks