Creating Flat Ceilings

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my 1970's house and my wife wants "flat" ceilings (they currently are all the popcorn texture). I got the old texture off, even though it was painted over and very tough. The problem is, that there is some scaring, but not horrible, of the sheet rock.

I use a product called "Gardz" to seal the entire surface and plan to fill in the bad areas. I just want to do this the best way possible. I can do it by hand but I'm also thinking of "shooting" on a heavier mud texture and smoothing it out with a large knock down knife.

Does anyone have some experiences/suggestions with this?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've done this...it's hard work. It will take the average DIY'er a long time. I'd just patch the areas needing it. You'll get a better result if you pay someone to put up a finish coat. That's an acquired skill you'll likley never accomplish especially on a ceiling without a lot of practice. they make it look so easy...it isn't! the average person will have a really hard time working over their head unless they have a job that requires that and are used to it.

RomodelHomes

Oahu Handyman
Reaction score
Website
www.oahu-handyman.com
I'm remodeling my 1970's house and my wife wants "flat" ceilings (they currently are all the popcorn texture). I got the old texture off, even though it was painted over and very tough. The problem is, that there is some scaring, but not horrible, of the sheet rock.

I use a product called "Gardz" to seal the entire surface and plan to fill in the bad areas. I just want to do this the best way possible. I can do it by hand but I'm also thinking of "shooting" on a heavier mud texture and smoothing it out with a large knock down knife.

Does anyone have some experiences/suggestions with this?

Thanks!

I recommend skim coating smooth-wall mud over the lids first - the lids have to many blemishes in it to try and hide them - you want a flawless clean look - thats the only way to get it ,,,, it is very hard work and a pro can handle it .......

you will need a 12 inch or 10 inch knife to skim drywall mud over the entire lid ---- it a skilled task ahead - you might want to call a drywall pro -get done right or else you will see all the crap sticking at you .... __> by all means this picture is to show some images of skimmed lids and popcorn ceiling being done - no sales ad ---- :)
Have a look here
Drywall-Pro-Hawaii-Midew-Mold-Removal-Asbestos-Honolulu-Oahu-.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks