Gas line for fireplaces

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I know most professionals don't like to knock on others work (I don't like to do it in my profession either) but I just need to know if something can be fixed...

I hired a Plumbing/HVAC Company (in the Metro area of MN) to run a new gas line for me to some gas fireplaces. I think the work is a little insightly but the company told me "that's how it has to be run". Just wanted to run it by some of you experts.

I have the gas meter on one side of the house and an upper/lower fireplace in the rear, about 50 feet away. The reason I hired the company is that the lower FP was already gas and I wanted the upper to be gas also. So there was a gas line already run to the general area, it just had to be split at the fireplaces. My concern is that the contractor took the regulator off the main meter and put it back by the split and did some "pipe work" back there. The area where it is split is at my patio area where we entertain, and it really looks bad.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, or if there is a better (more unsightly) way to do it? I've attached a couple photos.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FP 1.jpg
    FP 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 536
  • FP 2.jpg
    FP 2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 539

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

I sure hope that is a 2 psi system after the meter, because otherwise the piping is too small. It may even be undersized for a gas fireplace after that regulator. You can run small medium pressure piping a fair distance, but we do not know how far it is from the meter to that regulator, but not from the regulator to the appliance, unless it is a very small burner. The workmanship does leave a lot to be desired, however, even if it turns out that the sizing is adequate. I would not have done it that way. There are also specific requirements as to how the gas connects at the fireplace, and we cannot tell if that was done correctly.

gas_sizing_chart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

M3

Reaction score
Thanks HJ...

I don't know for sure if it is a 2 psi; can you tell me how to check?

Also, as I stated the meter is about 50' from the split and from the regulator you can see how one goes directly to the right and into the lower fireplace (maybe 6') and the other goes up to the second story (about 12' total).

What should I request from another contractor, to make it look better?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Normally the meter would be tagged if it is a 2psi system. If it is, then that line going into the house would be at medium pressure and would need a regulator someplace before whatever it is attached to.

Jastori

Reaction score
I would have another couple licensed contractors come and take a look at it. Tell them you are not sure whether it has been done to code, and you are not happy with the appearance either. Ask them whether the sizing is adequate, and ask how they determine proper sizing (hopefully with tables from gas code reference). Let them propose a solution (ask them to describe in moderate detail what they would propose doing to fix it), and choose whoever makes you most comfortable / satisfied. Be sure to ask about license / permit / inspection requirements for gas work in your location (if some of them indicate inspection required, while others say no, that will tell you something right away).

M3

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... The initial work was done with a permit and it was inspected by the local official; but it does look like crap to me.

I'll give another contractor a call and ask if and how they would fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks