pressure switch sticks

Users who are viewing this thread

pumped up

Reaction score
Pump runs and empties tank, bringing it down to zero pressure and water and pump stop. Pressure switch does not automatically click on to restart pump. However, when pressure switch outer case is tapped lightly a couple of times something seems to be jarred loose and switch trips and everything works fine for awhile. Happens every other day or so, getting tired of jumping out of the shower and crawling under the house. Any idea what might cause this intermittent problem and how to fix it?

Speedbump

Reaction score
From what you said, I'de say it's time for a new pressure switch. Or if your in bug country, you may have ant's, roaches, frogs, lizards etc. in the switch keeping the points from making up. The tapping will sometimes get them together again

bob...

pumped up

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. Should have mentioned: pump, switch and tank only 2 months old. Installed in crawl space, bugs might be problem, I'll check under cover. Any other ideas?

Hube

Reaction score
Are you sure the small tube/pipe that leads to the switch is clear of any crud/debris?
This can effect the pump's contact points from opening/closing.

pumped up

Reaction score
If small pipe to switch does have crud in it, how do I clean it out? Cut out electric to pump, disconnect, clean, reconnect and turn electric back on? Or do I have to open tap and reduce pressure in tank also?

Hube

Reaction score
pumped up said:
If small pipe to switch does have crud in it, how do I clean it out? Cut out electric to pump, disconnect, clean, reconnect and turn electric back on? Or do I have to open tap and reduce pressure in tank also?

PROCEDURE:
Shut power off to pump, drain tank, remove switch, clean pipe/tube.
Also check the switch's contact points for smoothness (lightly use emery cloth to smooth).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks