New Water Well .... Murky Water

Users who are viewing this thread

mystic_iris

Reaction score
Hi I hope someone can help give me some ideas...

We just drilled a well a little over three weeks ago. The well is 150 foot deep. Our water starts at about 47 feet. So we have roughly 100 feet in storage. I think he said 2 gallons a minute is what it refilled at.

We have a twenty feet of casing. Our Soil is clay and we drilled through shell rock.

After one week, our water was still murky and muddy. We called him back and found out that the well fell in about thirteen feet. We had the well cleaned out and back to 147 foot. We then added a liner and also put the sock around the liner to help keep setiment out of the well.

We gave the well a couple more days to clear up.. The water was clearing up. Then we got rain. We then found out that the driller had done a poor job of grouting around the casing and had water going around the casing. We dug around the casing and regrouted the casing.

We still do not have clear water. The Water acts like it is clearing up then will then turn brown again. We have put the water in a cup and let it sit over night when it is at its worst. The majority of the setiment or color does not settle. I have not had the water tested because I didn't see the point until it cleared up. The well guy said it will clear and that we just had a new seem open but that seems to be his reason for everything that goes wrong with our well.

We have noticed that sometimes our pressure switch on the pressure tank will kick But don't think that is related to the murky water problem.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
What do you mean by; We have noticed that sometimes our pressure switch on the pressure tank will kick But don't think that is related to the murky water problem.

Do you mean the pump comes on when water isn't or hasn't been used? If so that means you have a leak and yes that could cause muddy water.

Turn on a faucet in the house until the pump starts and shut off the faucet. Then shut off the water to the house past your pressure tank. Watch the pressure gauge for 10-15 minutes and see if the pressure falls. If it does you have a leak between the pressure tank and the check valve in/on the submersible pump in the well. If the water is spraying in the well, that can cause dirty water.

mystic_iris

Reaction score
I asked my husband about the fact of a leak and he said the pressure is staying stable after running the water. We have a good feeling that we need to just replace the pressure switch and that is why I said that I did not think it was related.
I do realize that we got a bad well guy. But there is not too much to do about that. Why would I need a new well though?
My father in law kind of thought it might be the mud that formed around the liner and casing when it was leaking that is causing our water to be unclear. He think that if we keep pumping the water out of the well that it will clear eventually.
I am still open to any suggestions. Something has to be causing the murky water.

Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can replace the pressure switch. It won't do any good, because if it were bad you wouldn't have any water. Most DIY'ers replace the switch, then the gauge, then they start asking around. Then they get to the point where they don't trust anybody including the driller, which is who I suspect.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks