fiberglass modification for new shower faucet in old shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph M

Reaction score
I have a cheap fiberglass 1-piece tub/shower surround... about 15 yrs old. still has the cheap builder-grade faucet. I got a great deal on a new faucet and removed the old faucet. I realized that the hole was drilled in the fiberglass prior to install of the surround over the old faucet and the surround hole is smaller than the faucet casing. I have no access to the old faucent and plumbing because of the limited size of the hole in the fiberglass. SO, I have no center hole to use for drilling. How can I cut out the hole to be larger without damaging the wall or pipes? I kind of need to eliminate as much risk as possible so I don't damage the surround and turn this into a big project. I have a jigsaw. Can I just be careful to not cut blindly where the threaded pipe ends are (and soon will be after installed) on the new faucet? that would help me guess where the pipes are and not damage them. Are they all pretty standard pipe locations for tub/shower faucets if it was all installed up to code by the builder?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
They sell rotozips on craigslist like they're going out of style too.

5250.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

If your old faucet has threaded ends and the new one does too, there is little likelihood that you will be able to change it through the opening in the fiberglass surround. That type of installation usually requires a lot more room than that.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm with hj, if you cannot get 2 hands in from either the front or the back, there is no easy way to change the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

More to the point is that threaded connections take more room to connect, and may require unions in the lines. Both situations require more space than the opening in the surround would give you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks