(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen electrical

Default Kitchen electrical

I'm adding kitchen cabinets on a half wall. This will be an L shaped counter and the full wall next to it will have an outlet. The total length of the half wall counter is 54". Based on code,if I'm reading it right, there needs to be an outlet for this counter space. Since this counter top is the same level as the half wall, do I need to add the outlet? Thanks for all your help.

according to article 210.52 (c)(1) A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall counter space that is 12 in or wider. Receptacles outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 inches measured horizontaly from a recepticle outlet in that space. Peninsular and island counter tops also require a recaptacle also
    Last edited by jnaas2; 05-01-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Default receptacle

Why would you want to avoid putting one in beneath the counter top. If you are like 99% of the population you will end up using it at some point in time. Kitchens seem to be one place where it is impossible to install too many outlets. When I did my own house, I used double duplexes at each location so I would not wind up with any triplex adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Why would you want to avoid putting one in beneath the counter top...
    I was thinking the same thing.

I call this a "daily thing". We use the kitchen daily.

And you can have frustration daily - an old outlet where you need to wiggle the plug to get it to work, or no outlets where you need them, or not enough outlets. Every single day you are frustrated and irritated (slightly) by this inconvenience!

Or it can be a daily PLEASURE. The old outlet has been replaced with a new outlet which works, and there are outlets where you need them, and always enough outlets available where and when you need them.

One less "irritation" in your daily life...

Its not that I don't want to do it, its that the countertop will be at the same height as the top of the wall and will extend over the wall. What are the options? Add the outlet in the countertop? How about on the other side of the wall? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There is some benefit to having the outlets IN the counter rather than in the half-wall under it. This would keep the cord from having to go over the edge which is an accident waiting to happen.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    There is some benefit to having the outlets IN the counter rather than in the half-wall under it. This would keep the cord from having to go over the edge which is an accident waiting to happen.
    The outlets can not be face up under any circumstances. The wall under your counter or a box that sits above the counter (similar to a lab counter) are your current options.

In my kitchen I made the 1/2 wall is taller than the counters and I put the outlets in that. I also put more outlets in than code requires.
    I have 4 counter sections that are about 2 ft wide. 3 of them have 2 outlets. One (under a window) only has one outlet. We love having so many outlets. The peninsula has the coffee pot, toaster, and still has very convenient outlets for cellphone chargers. ANY time I go to plug in some thing in the kitchen there is an outlet right where I need it.
    tjbaudio
    I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell. I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work. My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading. Dyslexics of the world untie!

www.incertclevername.com