reuse of tub/shower valve body

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
I'm renovating a bathroom and relocating fixtures.

In the case of the tub I am not happy with the new anti-scald valves and want to reuse the existing tub/shower valve body.

1) As I understand the code the anti-scald requirement is for the shower and not the tub. Can I reuse the tub/shower valve body for the tub and put some kind of intermediate valve between the diverter and shower head? If so do you have a suggested product?

2) The valve body in my existing tub/shower is close to 60 years old. It is solid brass. Are there reasons not to reuse the valve body assuming I can replace or refurbish the removable parts?

Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Mainly, for a valve that old, the availability of repair parts is marginal at best. If it is mainstream like Am Std, someone may still make stems. But handles and trim may not be available at all. Do you want to commit a remodel job, which hopefully is good for 20+ years...to a valve which already has a death sentence?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In addition to this depending on the extent of the work performed you may be required to upgrade the valve to pressure balanced or thermostatic to meet code requirements...

You are having this permitted and inspected aren't you?:rolleyes:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Post world war II parts?

With the wall out, you should bring it up to code.
There are plenty of balanced valves you can choose that give you temperature and volume control.

And parts will be available.

Heck,
It's hard to even get trim and handles for the old stuff anymore.

I have replaced the hot water valve washer on the tub about every two - three years for the last 15.

It doesn't sound like a "keeper" to me.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You have to have a real love affair going with that faucet to even consider keeping it. Kohler and Grohe both make a pressure balancing unit that would fit AHEAD of your faucet to make it code compliant, but the flow from your faucet would not be close to what it is now after passing through the device.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks