(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Number of lights allowed on a circuit

Default Number of lights allowed on a circuit

I'd like to add undercabinet lighting to an existing 15-amp circuit powering the lights in my kitchen. We plan to install two 2-bulb xenons and two 3-bulb xenons undercabinet lights controlled by one switch. Does this count as 1 or 4 lights toward the limit?

The circuit currently powers 2 kitchen fixtures, 1 breakfast nook fixture, 2 attic bulb fixtures and 2 garage bulb fixtures. I run compact fluorescents so the load is low and they're seldom powered all at once, but I'm just not sure if the undercabinet is too much for the circuit. Thanks.

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Unless you have a local code amendment that actually gives fixtures a value then they don't count for anything. They are already taken into account in the general demand calculation.

What you have will NOT overload that circuit. I wouldn't give it a second thought.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Thanks, Petey. I agree that the total won't be excessive. Cheers.

Default bulbs

The total wattage of the bulbs would be the important thing, not how many there are, and even then if they were low voltage you would have to convert it to the line voltage to get their effect on the circuit's load.

The total wattage of the bulbs and the total wattage of what ever else is on that circuit, totaled up...will give you your answer...Speedy Petey is probably right...