(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Dropped a screw removal tool down drain.

Hybrid View

Default Dropped a screw removal tool down drain.

How do you get something out of a shower drain? I dropped a tool down the drain...now all I see is a dark hole and a little water, no tool. I need a high powered magnet. Any suggestions ...is the tool gone forever or will it stop things up later? I know I need to call a plumber but I was wondering if anyone had some advice before I tell my husband his twenty dollar drill bit just fell down the drain.....? help....

How do I get that thing out of there???

It should be in the trap straight down from the drain.
    The trap is a "J" shaped piece of pipe...

How do I remove it?

In a shower, not under a sink....

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Underneath the shower is a P-trap, which will prevent the bit from going further. If the shower is on the first floor the P-trap will be accessible from the basement (if you have a basement). If it's a glue-together trap it will have to be cut out and replaced.

You might have the right idea about using a magnet. Most places that sell tools sell a small magnet on the end of a thin telescoping rod. This would probably work to get it out too. Another alternative is a tool called "mechanical fingers" that you could try.

Either of these tools can be found at most auto parts stores.

Thanks. I'm thinking the magnet would have to be pretty high powered to pick up that fairly heavy drill bit. Where's a high powered magnet when you need one?..I could bend a hanger and tie it on the end ..but I have no magnet. I had a nickel plated shower drain and wanted to change it to the oil rubbed bronze. That cost 18 dollars. Then the screw broke. 20 dollars for screw remover (now in drain). A plumber will probably cost $150 dollars. SOO..my new drain cover will end up costing around $200.00. I need to go lie down....

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Your husband will undoubtedly get it out.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Why would you tell him? You are newlyweds arent you?

Magnets on a telescoping rod are available at most any auto parts store and they don't cost very much. Handy gadgets to have around anyway. I'd sure try that before cutting the P trap out.