Toilet over joist help

Users who are viewing this thread

dbbarron

Reaction score
The toilet pipe is the left most pipe against the joist.

I want to move the toilet in the room, essentially 7' deeper into this picture and 3" to the left which puts it right over the joist.

The toilet will be in a 35" wide alcove and with the pipe in current position, will be 14.5" from the wall away from (to the right of) the (left hand) joist, thus, for the toilet to be right in the middle of the alcove, the pipe has to move 3" to the left, right over the joist. To fully avoid the joist, I'd have to move the pipe 4.5" which would put it 16.5" from one wall and 19" from the other wall (with tile considered over the now painted wall, that's 16" from one wall and 18.5 away from the other - not ideal - will look funny and maybe too close for comfort to the 16" wall.)

Any suggestions? I understand that an offset flange is a no-no.

Regards,
db

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 543

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joist

Put a new joist on the other side, which would give you 3", and then bolt it to the existing one with occassional 2x spacers. Cut out as needed at the toilet and offset the drain line into the space you make. I have a feeling you are going to create a venting problem by the time you finish.

dbbarron

Reaction score
Good idea.

This is between floors - the view you are seeing is taken from a recessed light opening from the floor below. As I will be in a position to remove the subfloor due to tile removal in the bath, I can access all this from the top, at least 9' of it. I may even be able to access the next point of overlap with the next joist and install a complete parallel joist to the left of the lefthand joist. This will allow me to position the new toilet exact dead center in the new space!

db

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks