Water leaks showing on living room ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

ronsaxton

Reaction score
i have water spot showing about 6-9 inches in diameter on livingroom ceiling and the Master Bath is over this area. this home was built in 2006 , i have nevr done plumbing work and i want to cut out the ceiling peice and attempt to stop this leak from happening please give me any and all advice , thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I like to see if the leak can be found before cutting holes.
Careful measuring and finding the corresponding location in the upstairs bathroom may help.
Post back once you have done that.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you make your report, be sure to note what kind of pipes are used in the attic. Keep in mind that the water could be coming from a vent pipe and water will follow a rafter for a considerable distance before dripping off so look for stains on them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

The attic may be immaterial because they stated that it was the ceiling beneath the second floor bathroom. The only advice we can give you, based on the information you submitted, is to open the ceiling at the leak point and then search for the source of the water. Where it is leaking, however, may not be right below where the leak is.

TedL

Reaction score
For the drywall repair, cut the patch a little oversize, trace outline on ceiling, and cut ceiling opening to match patch. Use strips of 3/4 plywood parallel to joists, drywall screwed to the ceiling and then to patch, if the ends are not landing on joists.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Start by inspecting the shower and tub

Do you have a shower, check for missing grout or caulk inside shower.
If a tub, check for loose overflow or drain inside tub.
Check for seal around fixtures, especially shower.

If shower stall, does it have tiled seating area, these horizontal surfaces are notorious for leaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks