Fluidmaster..won't completely flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbenton

Reaction score
You mention you need more water in the "bowl", but you also seem to use "tank" and "bowl" interchangeably. You can regulate the water in the tank which is behind the toilet, but the water in the bowl which is the part you sit on, is pre-determined by the weir, or trap, built into the bowl. You can not change it. When water is added, it goes over the weir and into the drain.
I will happy just to get more water in the tank. Before we changed out the Fluidmaster for a new one we had more water in the bowl.

Terri

Prashster

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a valve I recently replaced; I was similarly already dialed to 9.

These 2 things solved the prob:
1. I adjusted the float to stop at a higher water level. In addition to adding more water to the flush, it adds more force to the initial release of water into the bowl which makes for a stronger and more siphoning flush.
2. I shortened the chain. This yanks the flapper completely open which allows it float in the water better which makes the dial setting work better. It also makes for a stronger initial siphon.

I'm just theorizing on why these 2 things worked for me, but they did work.

Tbenton

Reaction score
I had the same problem on a valve I recently replaced; I was similarly already dialed to 9.

These 2 things solved the prob:
1. I adjusted the float to stop at a higher water level. In addition to adding more water to the flush, it adds more force to the initial release of water into the bowl which makes for a stronger and more siphoning flush.
2. I shortened the chain. This yanks the flapper completely open which allows it float in the water better which makes the dial setting work better. It also makes for a stronger initial siphon.

I'm just theorizing on why these 2 things worked for me, but they did work.
Thanks for the hints. Will also shorten the chain. Amazing what we have to go through to get a good FLUSH! I can tell you thing..I will NEVER buy a new toilet and have to deal with the smaller hole and thus more flushing issues. I know they have improved them for 'flush value' but no thank you.

Terri

Tbenton

Reaction score
Success at last

With the ring released you do not have to turn it. It should pull right up straight...

Redwood,

I just released the ring again and carefully yanked the tower up and re locked the ring and lo and behold...the water level came up in the tank and the bowl and the flushing is superb. My husband knew I was on a mission to fix it and he is proud of me but said from now on I can do all the toilet repairs...uh oh! Thanks again for all your help.

Terri

Tbenton

Reaction score
So...
Ya showed him how it was done...
I like that!:D
:) Hubby is an interior trim carpenter and I always told him to stay away from 'water' in the house but he has gotten pretty good at the more routine plumbing repairs but this was my victory! I was obsessed with fixing that toilet as you can tell. He did not check the level of the tower vs the overflow when he put in the last 'guts'. I guess after doing two successfully he thought he was on 'a roll'.

Sidebar: We have very good but acidic well water and a long history of pin hole leaks in our old copper pipes and it was costing us a fortune for our plumber to come almost monthly so he mastered fixing them after a lot of trial and error. We got estimates and could not afford to re-pipe the house in plastic so bought an acid neutralizer tank last fall and it works great. Water is a wonderful thing but it is not our friend when this kind of thing happens so often.

Terri

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Terri,

Now you can zap him with some more plumbing knowledge...
Sometimes, when a acid neutralizer the introduction of the Calcite into the water causes it to become hard. Installation of a water shoftener may be needed. Take your water to be tested for hardness.

If it is hard post back here in the pumps and water treatment forum.

Tbenton

Reaction score
Terri,

Now you can zap him with some more plumbing knowledge...
Sometimes, when a acid neutralizer the introduction of the Calcite into the water causes it to become hard. Installation of a water shoftener may be needed. Take your water to be tested for hardness.

If it is hard post back here in the pumps and water treatment forum.
The local family company that installed the tank told us about the hardness factor and what to look for from the calcite addition. Our water was neutral as far as hardness and no change so far. We have a pool so I am experienced with testing water. We started out with 5.8 PH ( really bad) and it went to 8.0 immediately when the tank was installed. I check it every two weeks and its only down a little so thats good. We love our local acidity for growing tomatoes and certain shrubs but NOT for drinking. The calcite is good for our digestive system too. We have both noticed that our acid reflux has reduced...another benefit after drinking this acidic water for 35 years. Thankfully our well water has no other 'bad' chemicals.

My hubby informed me this morning that the flushing is excellent and patted me on the head!

Terri

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks