How To Quick Clean Copper Fittings/Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,
I am wondering if there is a quick way to clean fittings and pipe. When I solder this is by far the slowest part of the process and I will be doing a lot of pipe repair this spring/summer.

Thanks for any replies!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubing

A brush chucked into a cordless drill will clean the fittings, but if you have that much copper to cut and clean, buy my electric copper cutter, cleaning, and reaming machine off Craig's list.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For my DIY purposes, I use a brush for the fittings, and emery cloth for pipe ends. I do sometimes use the donut shaped brush for pipe, but a strip of emery seems to be easier to keep track of and it's easy to replace. I'm sure for a professional soldering day in and day out this would be a bit primitive.

Molo

Reaction score
A brush chucked into a cordless drill will clean the fittings, but if you have that much copper to cut and clean, buy my electric copper cutter, cleaning, and reaming machine off Craig's list.

What city for Craigs List? I'm not sure how to find it.

Thanks

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Personally, tho' it's a pain in the butt to clean copper I don't see the need to buy a machine to do it. For residental work I hold a piece of emery cloth around 3/4 and 1/2" copper pipe then roll it across my thigh with the palm of my hand. I couple of whacks that way it's ready to go. On big stuff, up to 3" It has always just been very quick to loop a long piece of emery cloth over the pipe and run around it like I'm polishing my shoe... I could do a half dozen by the time I could get a machine out and in place. A few spins of a good brush and I get the fittings done... not a big deal to me and I've probably soldered as many as 100 joints in a day.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I suspect the OP has tendonitis or something that might impair their ability to prep copper the old school way.

Molo

Reaction score
After all the discussion I think I might try a drill chucked brush and the emery cloth. I guess it doesn't take that long and I don't have 100's of fittings, just dozens.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks