Bending type M rigid copper

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

NIce job, but a tee with a drop ear elbow above it and one below it would have done exactly the same thing and been a lot easier than making the loop.

Mr. Overkill

Reaction score
Pahrump, NV (1hr drive over the mountain from Las
HJ-

Are you saying that the loop is worthless the way I did it (drop L's instead of drop T's), or I just could have done it your way also, or your way is just as good as a loop with drop T's?

I'm confused.

By the way I reconfigured piping systed so I don't need to use the soft copper.

-David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
loop

When Moen recommends a loop, they are referring to one that basically circles the shower area, not one localized like yours. If you wanted to get "picky" that loop, because of the extra pipe and fittings, could have a lower flow than the one I described, although you would have to have very precise instruments to measure the difference.

Mr. Overkill

Reaction score
HJ-

Here is a copy of the design guide I went by. I went by the picture, to late now. :confused:

The fine print to the left says "A pressure balancing loop must always be used with body sprays to allow for equal supply of water to each spray".

Here is also a link to pics of my final plumbing posted on a thread at John bridges site.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=279339#post279339

-David

Attachments

• exacttemp.jpg
    exacttemp.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 3,994
Last edited:

Plumguy

Reaction score
Always follow manufacturer's spec's just like you did! The job looks good, I only question why you used drop ear 90's as opposed to 1/2c x 1/2 f tee's. It would make the pressure loop more balanced as shown by moen.

Installing a drop ear above and below a tee is just plain bad advice!! You'll be glad you did not make that change! Whenever someone wants you to go against manufacturer's spec's have them prove it! Chances are, you'll never see any proof!!

Mr. Overkill

Reaction score
Plumguy-

Thanks for your reply,

There is no supplier of that type of fitting in my small town. Would I be better off to order online and redo with the proper fitting or would the differance in balanced pressure so little it wouldn't be worth my sweat and heartache of redoing.

-David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

That drawing is a classic example of an engineer with a little knowledge and a lot of time on his hands. The ONLY time a pressure balancing loop has any advantage is when you make a feed connection to both sides of the loop, not to one side and make the water circulate through the loop. If you had several heads on the same circuit, but mounted on different wall, then putting a tee at the valve and looping in both directions so the feed supplies both the first and last ones would have been beneficial. Doing it Moen's way delivers absolutely no benefits and took more time and money. But since it does not create any problems and is done already, live with it.

Plumguy

Reaction score
hj said:
That drawing is a classic example of an engineer with a little knowledge and a lot of time on his hands. The ONLY time a pressure balancing loop has any advantage is when you make a feed connection to both sides of the loop, not to one side and make the water circulate through the loop. If you had several heads on the same circuit, but mounted on different wall, then putting a tee at the valve and looping in both directions so the feed supplies both the first and last ones would have been beneficial. Doing it Moen's way delivers absolutely no benefits and took more time and money. But since it does not create any problems and is done already, live with it.

I don't particularly care for Moen and maybe it has to do with their engineers having a little knowledge and a lot of time on their hands. I guess that is why they never put you on hold when you call the tech line trying to fix their junk! Maybe, they are hiring and you could turn things around in their design dept.

But, regardless of your'e knowledge do you think you should advise someone to adapt their installation away from the manufacturer's engineered design. You know just as well as I do that is a big no no! It voids all warranty and if you can't post your'e stamped engineered design as proof then I certainly don't think your'e ego warrants a change in the installation!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

It voids what warranty? And Moen puts me on hold many times when I need a part, usually a Monticello handle that had to be destroyed to unscrew it from the valve body, again because of some engineer's bright idea as to how to make a faucet handle.

Plumguy

Reaction score
Manufacturer specs override all codes(at least here in MA and our codes are pretty stringent)! If installation specs are not followed it voids warranty. If you install something that does'nt work properly and if a rep comes out to check it and it is not installed to their specs warranty is void. Believe me, I don't defend or as previously posted on other posts care for engineers. However, legally you can't change their design or product specs without approval regardless of your'e ability or experience. We don't agree or follow that all the time but when the sh@t hits the fan that's what it boils down to!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks